*NEW* Update page 9 - #87 Update on page 8 -- #72 Update on Page 4 I braved the cold weather this morning, as plague ridden as I am, to take pictures of the coop that's been left to fall apart on the acreage we just moved to. I plan on having this coop ready to go for early spring, so I need all the advice and help I can get! Here are the Before pictures before we continue. This is the back-side exterior of the coop. Front side exterior This is the view from the door that can be seen in picture number one. What a mess! Back area from the picture above that's hidden in shadow. I'm still not quire sure what this was for. It has an additional concrete footing and the remains of whatever bedding they have is about 4 inches higher than the rest of the bedding in the coop. The wood 'rafter'-type thing... any idea what this was? This is to the left of the above picture. Looks like an old feed chute perhaps, but there's no link to the outside. This is 2 of the 3 sets of roosts/nesting boxes that are still there. DH says a little cleaning and these could be kept. He's as inexperienced as I am, however I'm not certain I'm interested in keeping these around... Last set of roosting/nesting boxes and the window as seen in picture number two. Here's what I'd like to do: I would like to split this coop in 2 at the raised foundation that is seen in picture four. The purpose of the split would be to have a smaller section for broiler birds and a larger one for laying hens. I would like to keep them seperated for 2 reasons: so I can keep a rooster with them to produce our own feathered friends as well as to keep them pure bred, as I'm interested in raising a birds listed on Rare Breeds Canada. Also, I plan to fence off a series of 4 runs around the coop due to the high number of coyotes in the area. I will be electrifying the fence as well as adding some additional shrubs and small garden in each one for additional grazing. Here's what I have on my Must-be-done-before-you-can-put-chickens-in-there list (in relative order): 1. Remove all debris laying about including ceiling board, insulation (spelling, sorry) and any left over wiring from the electrical that has been removed from the premesis (long ago) 2. Remove dirt and bedding down to base of footing -- compost 3. Remove roosts and nest boxes, followed by any wall paneling that has water damage. Remove all insulation. 4. Replace and tin roof, ensure it is water tight and replace any framing beams that have been damaged beyond restoration. 5. Sanitize all remaining wood and footings -- allow to dry. 6. Replace insulation in walls, cover and seal (depending on material used, any suggestions?) Determine if ceiling will be flat or peaked... again, suggestions? Pros/cons? ***EDIT 6b. Install Ventilation 7. Build wall to divide coop. 8. Cut out and install windows in new side. Install entry door. 9. Install nesting boxes and roosts. 10. Hang waterers 11. Build/install feeder(s) 12. Place Plexiglass or re-claimed glass into existing windows. Seal. 13. Replace existing door with (preferably) reclaimed steel door. 14. Lay down layer of straw followed by sand, followed by straw, etc. ending with thick layer of sand. 15. Paint exterior. 16. Install fencing with electrified perimeter -- see if you get get reclaimed fences 17. Add chickens! I'm new to all this, and I just know I've got to have missed some very obvious and extremely important step along the way. I look forward to everyones suggestions and will try to get back to anyone who contributes! Thanks again! Progress pics will follow.