1. nikichickee

nikichickee New Egg

Apr 11, 2012
    Advice, opinions and the like would be much appreciated.

We moved into a house with an old chicken coop this winter and have been busy remodeling it. This is about where we stand ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see we are a long way from done, however it's time to kick it into high gear as our chickies arrived this morning! We will be housing approx 20 laying hens in here, provided they all survive. Intentions are to put 15 nesting boxes along the back wall and the roosts along either side. Metal sheeting and deep litter on the floor and a coat of paint. Shutters will be added, but how do we look in the ways of ventilation? Anything we are forgetting? Thanks in advance!

Niki

2. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    You don't need that many nesting boxes. I have 20 hens and have 6 nesting boxes, they only use 2 or 3. They say 1 nesting box per 4-6 hens, but in reality, they all choose one and try to squeeze in.

3. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    The coop looks good, but the 15 nesting boxes will be WAY too many.

4. nikichickee

nikichickee New Egg

Apr 11, 2012
    thanks, maybe we will go with 10, for the sake of chicken math and all. [​IMG] As long as the perches are kept below the height of the windows would you consider it safe to keep the windows open (i.e. don't close the shutters) to allow enough ventilation overnight?

5. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    I would not keep the windows completely open. Predators could get in very easily ( they will do almost anything to get chickens). The only way would be to cover the windows with screen, like on house doors, and windows. My coop has screen on it.

6. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    as chickenperson said you can but put some hardware cloth over the openings. Looks good so far. [​IMG]

7. nikichickee

nikichickee New Egg

Apr 11, 2012
    the photos might not show it well but there are already brand new screens in place :) I think the last photo shows them best. Or are you suggesting something in addition to those?

8. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    No, if you have screen its fine. =)

9. JohnnyxRex

JohnnyxRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Louisiana
    Depends on the thickness and where you live. If you have coyotes, and the window can fit one through it (yes by the way), it might not be strong enough to stop it. It would be safe to crack the windows a few inches, so that they provide protection from bigger predators, as long as the wire has small enough holes to keep out snakes and rats and stuff. Do you think the rats could chew through the wire easily?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by