1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop Repair Question - Cockeyed Base

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BlackIowaDirt, Apr 19, 2012.

1. BlackIowaDirt

BlackIowaDirt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    So, the coop weighs like 500 pounds. And I don't have any other adults to help me with this. Looking for suggestions on how to fix this cockeyed post.

I was thinking of buying a jack, jacking it up, and then securing it, but I don't know how to secure it better? I used lag screws. The post is a 4x4. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    I had a similar situation and my son had a simple answer....nail or screw a board ..a header below your roof frame 2x4 ...inside the coop to cover the spot that the crack is.! Whalla! No crack and looks like you know what you are doing too ...sort of!
    !

3. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    I am going to add some boards as trim to the outside to cover my variances in windows and the crack like you have at the roof.My window cut is very uneven but a little trim with old used 2x4s makes it look perfect!
    Just fit the window with the trim so no fit to the cut in the plywood its self and fit the window into that Worked great..
    Make it look more professional and covers the mistakes too.

I am a little more worried about your BASE leg there...Did you see you bent it standing the base/floor up.?I was worried we would do that too.
    You need to wack that into place so it doesnt break OFF
    I like the idea of the linolium on the outside.... Water proof!!! GREAT!! .

4. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Whoops !
    You DAD know about that leg.!.... DUH on me,..
    Can you use a car jack and then add some shims once its up to even it out from moving around ?
    Maybe some wood braces too .i used them
    If you can jack it up and get it even with shims... i would also use nails from the inside down into the 4 x 4 leg also would add another 5th leg nailed NEXT to this crooked one as an in-case.. or bricks stackjed something to keep it from falling al lthe way down
    I am no expect for sure but ...just some ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by