Coop Roof Help

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
We’re finally on the home stretch of finishing the coop! I just need some help on this. So in the photo the arrows are pointing to the very end of the support beams. We plan on putting plywood as the roof with shingles. Should i put a piece of 2x4 on the end of the support beams?
5DC43638-3B65-4F07-9EBF-E1F46FD6626B.jpeg

I assume the roof isn't as flat as it looks in the pic? But yes, generally you cut the ends of the rafters parallel to the walls and put a fascia board over the ends. If you are leaving the soffits open for ventilation, as you should, the fascia will add some protection from blowing rain or snow. If driving rain and snow are especially common where you live, you can even make the fascia wider for further protection.

I assume the roof isn't as flat as it looks in the pic? But yes, generally you cut the ends of the rafters parallel to the walls and put a fascia board over the ends. If you are leaving the soffits open for ventilation, as you should, the fascia will add some protection from blowing rain or snow. If driving rain and snow are especially common where you live, you can even make the fascia wider for further protection.
No the roof isn’t flat it’s on an angle down to the back of the coop! Thank you!

Yes I would. It will not stop any ventilation action since you will not be blocking the openings at the wall position.
Not readily visible for me,,,, but what is the pitch of your roof?? My question is concerning snow load.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Even in our old coop, if snow got too much, we would just brush it off. It’s about a 6-8 inch pitch i guess you would call it.

The roof sheathing should go over the top edge of the fascia.
Then drip edge applied before tarp paper and shingles.
Thank you! Also not sure if we did the rafters correctly. This is only our second time building a coop and our first time doing rafters like this. So it could be messed up but it’s kind of late to fix it now

Back
Top Bottom