Coop Roof ??

ChickenNewB17

In the Brooder
May 22, 2017
Hello, my husband and I are building our coop inside an barn shed. We will be adding doors to the shed, but we're wondering about the roof...suggestions/thoughts please...
We'd like to just add a plywood roof so we can store old wood scraps up on top, but two questions from that idea are, 1. would it cut down on ventilation? 2. would it attract predators/pests?
I'll reply to the thread with pictures.
TIA

20170528_111037.jpg
20170528_125936.jpg
20170528_125952.jpg

Hello there love the coop!! I think you should be fine with adding a roof you have plenty of ventilation with the chicken wire all around. If you worried about it you could cover half with wood for your storage and the other half with the chicken wire.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think we should add hardwire cloth all the way up the walls too? Even though we are adding doors to the whole shed?

My run just has the hardwire cloth on the bottom and chicken wire on the top(my chicks free range for the most part) but my old cop was all hardwire cloth(lived in Oklahoma and have a lot of coyotes) here in Florida I haven't had any issues yet. I think its up to you and how safe you feel with the set up you have. I think you should be ok but again it is your choice in the end. You could always add it later if you feel unsure.

I am a newbie to chickens but not to coons. If you have coons in your area this could be a concern. They can climb very well. I have watched them somehow climb straight up my steel siding on my house climb over the eaves and onto my roof. My coop and run will also have a plywood roof topped by galvanized roofing. A hardware cloth and wire fence combo skirting all around to prevent digging. Lost my only previous flock of teen chicks to coyotes years ago who plowed right through chicken wire. My neighbor just lost her teen chicks to coons digging under her chain link fence.

Back
Top Bottom