1. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    hi I'm having problems with the design of my coops roof. i want to use a metal roof panels. the coops foot print is 12x12. i have seen a lot of people using flashing around the whole coop. Is this a need of just something to make the roof look cleaner. I have looked at a lot of different designs on the site and finally went with the Wichita cabin coop because of the look and where mine is going worked out well. i just blew it up to be a little bigger. suggestions i have never really built a roof before this is quite the adventure.

2. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    First off hey from another Washingtonian. As for the roof if you went with the Witchita (I am building the same thing) you are dealing with a sloped roof. Yes flashing help it look a little nicer but also the flashing at the top needs to be there to keep water from getting under the metal roof. You can always just run it with the flashing on the top and thats it. I like flashing all the way around so it protects the plywood on the roof. Hope this helps and good luck with the coop. Post some pics if you can I would love to see what you came up with.

3. peej

peej Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    I would go with a metal roof, it'll get the job done for many years!

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Can you describe, or link to a pic, of someone using flashing around a metal roof? I really am not sure what you are talking about?

Pat

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    My coop has a metal roof, but we didn't put plywood down at all. We put 1x4 runners crosswise on the rafters and nailed the metal roofing to them. It works great and doesn't leak. Saved on money and time.

6. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    I put a corrugated metal roof on my coop. No plywood. Just a few support beams/rafters. No flashing, either.

I put silicone on the seams where the metal pieces overlapped, and screwed them in to the support boards (used silicone and rubber washers with the screws). We had a heck of a storm a couple weeks ago and it held up nicely (which is more than I can say for some of the cars and houses around here).

FWIW, my roof is not an A-frame. It does not have a peak. It has a sloped roof (higher in the front and lower in the back).

7. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Can you describe, or link to a pic, of someone using flashing around a metal roof? I really am not sure what you are talking about?

Pat

I'm thinking the OP means drip edge?

I would suggest also suggest metal roofing with a drip edge. I am sure the girls will love to snooze to the sound of the rain on the tin roof. [​IMG]

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, I suppose drip edge perhaps. It is marginally worthwhile if you are very cross-all-t's-and-dot-all-i's and installing the metal over plywood or OSB (e.t.a. -- I mean, marginally-worthwhile on a coop. Definitely use in this case on a HOUSE, of course!); but it is utterly pointless if installing it over bare 2x4 purlins, as most people would do for a coop.

Pat

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  9. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    THank you all for the suggestions I think I ready to start me and my wife are having alot of fun doing this as a project for us to do together.

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I used plywood for my sloped roof with the metal flashing we call drip edges all around. I took the additional precaution of using roofing tar on the edges of the plywood before applying the metal flashing. I also like the roof overhang, all four sides. I did it that way for durability-----musta worked, see my BYC page for pics of my set up built nearly twenty years ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by