Coop/Roost space Dilemma!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mr Bojangles, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Mr Bojangles

Mr Bojangles Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    Sturgis, KY
    So I'm renting a cabin that had a chicken "coop/pen" on it. So I got some chickens. Just a pain fenced in 12'x16'.added a roof. Added nesting boxes. Added the roost. Now that winter is coming I need to shield them from the elements I guess. So I found a box. It's 10'L x 24"H x 12"D. I think it's too small. Found another identical box I could join to make it 24"D. Pics of my plan and what I currently have are below. What do you think? I want help them but is this too small? I have 16 chickens. Should I block the off the entry doors at night? Add some vents? Any ideas / suggestions would be appreciated[​IMG]

2. Mr Bojangles

Aug 26, 2014
    Sturgis, KY
    [​IMG]

3. Mr Bojangles

Aug 26, 2014
    Sturgis, KY
    [​IMG]

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    How about plastic sheeting or tarps on the walls, up to 6" or so from the roof? Wind protection and ventilation. Mary

5. Mr Bojangles

Aug 26, 2014
    Sturgis, KY
    Alright! The old pic and design are above. This is how it came out! I've decided no ladders to the roost so far. I don't think they need them even tho everybody says I do. I think the perch is good enough. Maybe later[​IMG]

6. Mr Bojangles

Aug 26, 2014
    Sturgis, KY
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by