Coop & Run bedding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by handsomecock, Aug 22, 2013.

1. handsomecock

handsomecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    I've seen a bunch of coop designs on here which is helping me and my buddy move along at a good pace on our project. So I see that under the foundation of the coop, beneath the hardware cloth cage, I have seen people laying down what looks to be black plastic which is followed by sand or gravel. My yard at the moment is just dirt. I would like to achieve proper drainage and easy maintenance for the run. For the coop I was gona go with pine shavings and a vinyl floor.

Total estimated size 12'x4'x6'

Coop 5'x4'x4'

10 chicks comin in next Thursday.

I've had a blue front amazon for the past 13 years, I have dealt with all types of bedding, and I know that parrots are different. The best method Ive found is to clean it daily. So if ya'll could, advise me on what would be good for the run, and what would be best for the coop. Cost efficiency, and lightest maintenance in mind.

2. redstarfather

redstarfather Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    Land of Ooo
    when my girls were chicks we just used some kind of wood shaving bedding for them. i think we bought it at tractor supply or petsmart/petco.

3. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    thx, but yea it turns out my cousin in Maine got chickens. My buddy also found Pine shavings on Amazon for 6 bucks

4. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I switched to sand and love it. I made a big kitty scoop and clean daily (takes about 10 minutes). Some evenings I have fun raking the run to look like a Zen garden. The girls dont care, but it looks cute.

5. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    Use poop board in the coop. I put sand with sweet PDZ and some DE. Use kitty litter scoop just takes a few minutes. No odor. I use sand over the concrete 4x8 floor which is the enclosed run. Also sweet PDZ and DE. I scoop 2 times a week. No odor. Pine shavings in the coop around the poop board. The coop stays clean because my chickens only go in to roost except when they decide to play with the pine shavings. That's a sight to see. Pine shavings flying everywhere. I needed the easiest solution so I won't have to spend all my free time changing out straw. Sand gets wet in the rain but doesn't get muddy. It's damp though so I put a dust bath in a corner. It stays dry. All this works great for me. Everyone has different situations, what works for one may not work for another. But for me, scoop time is like play time. I had chickens on my back and shoulder while scooping. Oh yah, I just have 4 so it's pretty easy. Folks with bigger runs and more birds use deep litter method. Good luck

6. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    haha zen garden I like that. It turns out one of my cousins from Maine has chickens as well. They use pine shavings...

7. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Tons of info there thanx... I think im goin w coarse sand and pea gravel for the run and pine shavings in the coop, but we'll see how things progress.

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I use sand in the run and pine chips in the coop. Although, this summer I lined the coop floor with linoleum and it has been very easy clean up! The hens like to lay on it too. They mostly poop outside in the summer. Winter time I'll add a bit of pine bedding since it helps insulate as well.

9. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    My thoughts exactly.After reading on this site I think im going to lay a roll of vinyl flooring for the coop w pine shavings on top. :)

10. loveoutdoor

loveoutdoor Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    North Dakota
    For coop I put linoleum down, didn't bother gluing it, use pine shavings with a 3:1 shredded junk mail ratio roughly. Use a plastic lawn rake and throw pieces of bread once a week for the hens to keep it from getting matted down. Cleaning out with plastic rake/broom is simple

cheap, easy to clean, lasts a long time, happy hens, happy owner

my experience is you can find cheap vinyl at big box stores for nearly nothing, ask them if they have any large scraps etc. I did get the thicker kind cause I knew I'd be walking/raking over it

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by