Coop run design top or hot wire

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tomcatbubba, Aug 16, 2010.

1. tomcatbubba

tomcatbubba Chirping

Jun 16, 2010
    Folks, if I put hot wire at the base of my run and again half way up and on top, do I need to cover the run as well? Biggest threat here is raccoons and foxes and there are no trees to climb to jump into the run.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You think your biggest problem is going to be them, but if you don't cover your top you'll find that hawks become your biggest problem. I always thought that ground predators were going to be my biggest challenge, but to my surprise my most successful predators have been raptors. I now have hot wires and a cover. No more predation unless I let them free-range.

Good luck.

3. patman75

patman75 Songster

If it is a small run then cover it. It wont cost too much.

If you run is huge then it is easier or more cost effective to use the electric fence.

My run is not too big so I covered it with welded wire and if I lose power I know my chickens are still safe.

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Songster

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    You need both...like CMV said a hot wire is nothing to a hawk and once they get started they are relentless. If you have an open run, sooner or later they WILL find your birds!

5. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Songster

Feb 16, 2009
    We have both, solid clear PVC roof, and lots of electric wire. We added the roof after losing 4 pullets...

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by