COOP RUN HEIGHT????

Kay56

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
HI...we are finishing up our coop (if the weather will cooperate) and need some advice on the run area. We are going to make it 5 x 12 but do not know if we should make it short, or tall enough for me to walk in. It will be covered in 1/2 inch hardware cloth all over as well as the floor area to deter predators. At least four inches of sand for the flooring over the hardware cloth and a lightweight removable cover for when the weather is bad.
We see so many different heights on here so can you tell us........ WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU?????

make it tall enough to stand in i didn't now i'm going to have to redo it. But i'm sure the neighbors loved watching me trying to catch a skiddish chicken on my hands and knees for 30 minutes though.

My personal preference is to make runs small enough so that you can pick them up and move them. The size I like best is 5' wide, 5' long and 2' high made out of heavy fencing. Runs always get barren and muddy. Nice to be able to move them over to a new stop.

I'll have to agree with keeping a coop that wide tall enough to get into. If it was only a couple feet wide, I can see keeping it low if you were to put a hinged roof on top so you can access the run. However, with a 5 foot by 12 foot run, you won't want to deal with a roof that big. Keeping it taller definitely makes cleaning easier as well as enables you to access a sick/injured bird without injuring/frustrating yourself.

Back
Top Bottom