COOP RUN HEIGHT????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kay56, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Kay56

Kay56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    HI...we are finishing up our coop (if the weather will cooperate) and need some advice on the run area. We are going to make it 5 x 12 but do not know if we should make it short, or tall enough for me to walk in. It will be covered in 1/2 inch hardware cloth all over as well as the floor area to deter predators. At least four inches of sand for the flooring over the hardware cloth and a lightweight removable cover for when the weather is bad.
    We see so many different heights on here so can you tell us........ WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU?????

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    in my opinion, having it tall enough for you to get into is the better option.

3. mb poultry

mb poultry Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    Definitely make it tall enough to stand up in, its way to hard to clean out if you have to stay bent over.

4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    make it tall enough to stand in i didn't now i'm going to have to redo it. But i'm sure the neighbors loved watching me trying to catch a skiddish chicken on my hands and knees for 30 minutes though.

5. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    My personal preference is to make runs small enough so that you can pick them up and move them. The size I like best is 5' wide, 5' long and 2' high made out of heavy fencing. Runs always get barren and muddy. Nice to be able to move them over to a new stop.

6. prescott2k

prescott2k Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Dixon, CA
    I'll have to agree with keeping a coop that wide tall enough to get into. If it was only a couple feet wide, I can see keeping it low if you were to put a hinged roof on top so you can access the run. However, with a 5 foot by 12 foot run, you won't want to deal with a roof that big. Keeping it taller definitely makes cleaning easier as well as enables you to access a sick/injured bird without injuring/frustrating yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by