Coop Run Help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Summerlove, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi everyone! I should start off saying I rent my home which is in an urban area. I converted an existing shed, which currently houses my 10 hens and 4 chicks I plan on having a total of 12. I have a small run on my coop that I put on in December as I was working a lot and would not be back in time to let my girls in. They are usually free range in my yard unless no one will be back to let them in which isn't often. When I built the run it was December so the ground was frozen so I wasn't able to dig down to put wire etc also I had not yet discovered this site and I wrapped it in 1" chicken wire. The wire was expensive but I have a ton left would it be strong enough to survive the night ( I will be checking the condition of the wire often) in the case of a racoon/ fox attack if I also wrapped the inside? I would like to keep the chicken door open at night. Also should I dig around and put wire? Could I use patio stones in my small run? Any cost effective way to make sure my girls are safe and secure. I am getting worried with the nice weather quickly approaching. Here are a few pictures. Thanks for the help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Chicken wire is fine for keeping chickens in but a raccoon or other predators can easily tear a hole in it to get to your chickens. Also raccoons can reach thru chicken wire and pull what they can of your chicken out thru the hole. And chickens do get near enough to the sides to get snatched by raccoons :( Its recommended to at least put that 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch hardward cloth around the bottom of your run up about 3 ft high. I put my hardward cloth over a chainlink dog kennel, then covered the top with that galvanized 1X2 fencing to keep the hawks and other predators out. I also made a skirt of the 1X2 fencing which I just laid on top of the ground all the way around the edge of the run. It extends out about 24 inches. I put cinder blocks on the corners until the grass starts holding the wire down. I think some people even use those tent stakes to hold the edges down. Hope that helps. Good luck

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Here is my coop. my hens have free run of the fenced yard

[​IMG]
    but I close them in at night.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    the fenced part is about 1/4 acre?

5. Summerlove

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]
    The chickens are usually in the yard, they're stuck in the run very rarely. I think I may get the hardware cloth as you can see in this photo my yard is surrounded by vines. In this photo you can't see it but I have a huge mulberry tree on the right. In previous years I have had racoons and I have seen them many times climbing down the tree next to my coop. Never during the day but I wouldn't want to come home late one night to a missing hen because my coop chicken door (not run door) was left open. I am going to make my run a skirt to keep diggers out too! Thanks

6. Summerlove

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Cute Coop BTW :)

7. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    I live in a rural area highly trafficked by raccoons. I have regular chicken wire, with 8 young pullets. Not saying it's fool proof, but I come home between 9-10 pm and all has been OK. My girls roost in their coop shortly past dusk. You should think about an automatic door. I am seriously considering one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by