Coop/Run ideas

Welcome to BYC.

How many chickens do you want to have? Chickens have certain needs for space, the usual guidelines being:

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

4 square feet in the coop,​
10 square feet in the run,​
1 linear foot of roost,​
And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.​

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters a lot and we can give better advice when we know what sort of weather you're likely to have. You can put your location into your profile so it's always there for reference. :)

What level of handyman skills do you have? And what tools do you own? Building is either cheaper than buying or gets you a better product for the same money, but not everyone is in a position to build.

What kind of budget are you working with?

What is your purpose for having chickens? Eggs? Meat? Sustainability? Entertainment? ???

Just as something to look at, my Little Monitor Coop is designed to meet all the minimums for 4, large-breed hens and is suitable for hot and temperate climates (cold winter areas will want a means of closing, or at least stopping drafts from, the lower window). https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/ Because it's so small I keep my feed and water outside in a covered shelter.

Back
Top Bottom