coop & run in the bush?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brierose3, Feb 9, 2013.

1. brierose3

brierose3 Chillin' With My Peeps

we are soon getting a few chickens and was wondering if we could build their coop and run in the bush.
    and just a couple of questions...

1. will they be safe from birds of prey?
    2. will we have to put a mesh roof?
    3. how can i make the run fox proof
    4. would mosquitoes harm them?
    5. do chickens get ticks and if so, do they make them ill like dogs and cats?
    thank you

2. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    I don't know about the ticks in NSW, but chickens are susceptible to lice. If you spread DE (food grade diatomeceous earth) that will help. We also have something here called Sevan Dust that is safe for chickens but kills the bad bugs. (it also kills good bees, so don't use it if you have natural bees around). I don't think mosquitoes bother the chickens.

If the bushes are thick enough and they have lots of places to hide, it will be hard, but not impossible, for the birds of prey to get at them. A mesh roof would be helpful.

As to foxes, use hardware cloth (welded wire mesh), not chicken wire, and either bury it going deep around the run or lay a 2' apron of it around the run and cover that with dirt, so animals can't burrow under.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Since we got chickens, we haven't had any ticks. The strange end of an enduring problem.

Chris

4. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    I bet the chickens are eating all the ticks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by