1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop run is just dirt

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Karen 2739, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Karen 2739

Karen 2739 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    My coop run is only the natural dirt/ground. Should I be using something on top of the ground? I just rake it up once a week. What advice?

thank you!

2. spike844

spike844 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    Virginia beach, VA
    In our run connected to the hen house, it is just dirt and whatever else gets in there. Out in the chicken yard, I put some mulch, but dirt is just fine. The mulch made the yard look good for about three days... then .... the chickens went to work.

-Noah

3. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Dirt is fine. If you get much rain it may get muddy and messy and smelly though. Sand might be a good alternative as it drains well when it gets wet and it helps dry out the chicken poop until you get to cleaning it out.

4. billl2099

billl2099 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    my run is also plain dirt, my chickens wouldn't have any other way

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  5. UrbanChickensRUs

UrbanChickensRUs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Ours is dirt too but I throw lawn clippings in there and they seem to love it. I compost grass anyway so it all ends up in the same place after they do there thing on it.

6. HenneePennee

HenneePennee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Alabama
    Mine has a dirt floor. When we rake leaves the chickens LOVE for me to give them a pile to play in. I could dump a wheelbarrow full in there every day and they scratch around like there is burried treasure. Fun to watch!

7. cpwhip

cpwhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    MINES DIRT TOO I think they would just tear up any grass that

8. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    mine's dirt/grass- but we throw lawn clippings in there which really helps keep it dry and from smelling. (we have chicken wire on the bottom but the grass comes through it

9. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine is dirt w/prairie hay... They love picking through it finding all kinds of seeds to munch.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  10. Hopper

Hopper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Ionia
    Dirt and it seems to be fine but I'm a chicken newbie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by