Coop & Run on a Hill

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gunshyvw, Jan 22, 2013.

1. gunshyvw

gunshyvw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Plymouth, Indiana
    I've been searching all day, and have yet to find a satisfactory answer either in forum OR in photos.

So here goes:

I'm building a raised coop with attached run on a slope. What recommendations can you give me so that I can build the coop on a flat surface and then install it level where I want it?

I was thinking leveling it with concrete blocks under the vertical posts, but was unsure if this would be stable enough.

FYI, the run itself will be built in place to follow the slope I'm building on. Just the coop will be built elsewhere (my garage).
    It's not a TERRIBLY steep slope, about 20*, but I do have to level the coop.

Thanks!

2. CMYates

CMYates Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    You could sink some piers into the ground to bolt the coop to. Just sitting an elevated coop on cement blocks is not a good idea because the structure is not heavy (as buildings go) and a strong wind could blow it off the blocks. If you put in piers and leveled them across the top you could install your coop safely,

3. gunshyvw

Jan 21, 2013
    Plymouth, Indiana
    I was afraid of that. :/

Is there a way to put the legs into the holes in a cement block and then cement them into place? I'm not looking forward to digging more holes than I need to, as there are 3 large trees with lots of roots near where I need to place the coop. Great for summer shade...not so nice for digging...

4. CMYates

CMYates Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    I don't think the blocks would be a big help. For not a lot of money you can rent an auger that would make short work of the holes.

5. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
  6. gunshyvw

Jan 21, 2013
    Plymouth, Indiana
    I like the spiked fence post holders! And I'll look into renting an auger, too. Might be cheaper than having the fence spikes sent from the UK.

Thanks!

7. AnotherSusan

AnotherSusan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    You can get similar products at most hardware stores.

Here is an example:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...p=BazVoice-_-RLP-_-100655352-_-x#.UP_kLydEGSo

We used them to put our shed on. Pounding them in so they are level and straight up and down is a bit of a challenge, but they do work.

If you want to ask for them at a different store that may have a different brand, print out a picture so they can see the type thing you want.

8. gunshyvw

Jan 21, 2013
    Plymouth, Indiana
    Ha!
    I didn't even know these existed and there they are at Home Depot. These are great, and a great answer to digging up roots for hours.

Would those be suitable for securing the fence posts for my run too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by