1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop/Run Placement

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PTFowl, Aug 19, 2011.

1. PTFowl

PTFowl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    WA
    The coop is arriving in a couple weeks and the chicks will be here soon. I was planning to put the coop with run right along the side of the house but it won't get any sun there. I'm in WA state where the weather is often cloudy and it rarely gets very warm or very cold. I hope to be able to free range the chickens in the fenced yard but at times they'll be confined to the 13-foot long coop/run area. Is it a bad idea to place the coop in a fully shaded spot?

2. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I found that moisture uauslly lead to smelly coop and even moldy coop if it stays damp too long.

3. cicichick

cicichick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    SW Ohio, Miami County
    I see shade as an advantage for a couple of reasons. We have a coop with two separate runs. One mostly shade and the other mostly sun. Those in the sunny side tend to spend more time in the coop and out of the sun when it is really hot. The shady side chicks are out more. And having a mostly shaded side has worked out great for the chicks my son shows at the Fair. We house them on that side of the coop so we avoid any bleaching of feathers from sun.

4. PTFowl

PTFowl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    WA
    I hadn't thought about the moisture/smell and moisture-leading-to-mold issue until you mentioned it. Plus the ventilation will be worse if it's right near the house. Going with a partially sunny spot seems to make more sense. Partial sun seems like a better choice than no sun at all in this wetter-than-average climate.

5. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Mine are in partial shade and I find they do enjoy sun bathing occasionally. [​IMG] Enjoy. They are a lot of fun, not to mention addicting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by