Coop Run Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by remist17, Feb 12, 2014.

1. remist17

remist17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My current run is dirt floor. In the spring the run gets muddy. Can I put pine mulch down in the run? I can get this easy. I can also get some rock to put down but I thought the mulch would be good for the chickens to be able to scratch and get bugs.

2. jenniemig

jenniemig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I am going to have the same problem with mud in my coop/run area. I plan to put a thick layer of sand down as soon as the girls eat all of the grass in the coop/run area.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Mine is horrid in the spring.

I dug a ditch all around the perimeter, and tried to contour the soil so that the water doesn't head straight towards my chicken shed.

All of that ditching helped the area dry out faster last summer, but we shall see if it works well during break up.

My point: first see if you can get rid of some of the water that is causing the problem, then build up the level of your run with sand or what not.

Someone had written the most lovely article, here on BYC about muddy runs and what to do.....i will try to find it.

4. remist17

remist17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have trenched and built up. Its not so much as the run off but the normal run being muddy. I was thinking the mulch would allow them to still search for bugs and worms and what not. Gravel will not have worms maybe a few bugs. I can get mulch easier and cheaper than gravel.

Guess we will see if anyone else used this or I will give in and put gravel down.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

If your run doesn't have standing water, it is just a bit muddy, then I think mulch would work wonderfully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by