Coop/run question

galvinj

Chirping
Feb 18, 2015
Rhode Island
Hi,
I'm new to this and will be constructing my coop/ run shortly ( if the snow ever melts here in RI!). My thoughts are as follows:
I'm in a suburban area with about a 5,000sq' backyard. There are lots of skunks, possums, raccoons etc since my property backs up to a wooded area. I'm looking to acquire 3 large hens and build a 4x4 coop with a 8x4 run enclosed with hardware cloth. Since I have a small yard I was debating to do a tractor design with poultry fencing, not chicken wire,on the bottom of the run so nothing can burrow under, that way I could move it around my yard so I don't have an area of dirt from the hens grazing. Is this an acceptable idea?
I could make it stationary and bury hardware cloth to prevent burrowing if you all think that would be a better idea. Figured I would ask first than have to change things when done! Thanks for your help!! BTW, being new to this, I must say that I had no idea chickens were so popular!! Love this site!

With you backing up to a wooded area, I would make it stationary and bury the fencing. That way there are no worries about something digging under the fence and getting in to your girls.

Welcome to BYC we are here to help with questions and concerns.

Back
Top Bottom