Coop & Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JonesNW, Nov 5, 2013.

1. JonesNW

JonesNW New Egg

Sep 23, 2013
    Arkansas
    Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about building the screen door to my chicken run? Of course, we plan to use hardware cloth instead of screen, but my question is about the size of the wood. Should the frame be built out of 2 x 4's?

2. heidisue

heidisue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Marana, Arizona
    I used 1x2's but 2x4's will work too!

3. JonesNW

JonesNW New Egg

Sep 23, 2013
    Arkansas
    Thanks!

4. gagesgramps

gagesgramps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    if there's a menards by you. they sell wooden screen doors in a couple different sizes for $20. for me it was faster than building one. they come with a screen already on but i also screwed the hardware cloth on the inside. i figured my birds won't peck holes in the screen that way, and the screen on the outside will help keep the bugs out of the coop. hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  5. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    Use whatever you've got sitting around the house. I have made doors from 1x2, 2x2, 2x4, 2x6, ect, ect. Ive used old pallet slats and old interior doors. Be creative, as long as it is square and dosent sag, your good.

gagesgramps, why would you want to keep bugs OUT of the coop??

1 person likes this.
  6. torah253

torah253 New Egg

Apr 4, 2013
    Spanaway, WA
    I made my run door out of:
    - 1/2" EMT conduit pipe (frame)
    - 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth
    - 4" metal corner brackets
    - Wire ties
    - 1/2" conduit wall anchors (hinges).

It's light, strong, and secure.

I used 1/2" conduit clamps at both vertical posts to slide a metal bar through.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Cheers,
    Mike

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. gagesgramps

gagesgramps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    yogifink, not necessarily bugs but wasps, hornets and flies. we live on a dairy farm and have an over abundance of flies. if somebody says sting my hand swells up like a baseball mitt. i don't mind grasshoppers, crickets or june bugs at all. oh yeah i don't want mosquitoes in there either. the birds can get their bugs when they're outside anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by