1. EliseD2012

EliseD2012 In the Brooder

Aug 19, 2018
    Hi all!

I am looking for some advice with some coop sand. I am thinking of convering the run with sand and I am reading that washed construction sand is the best bet. My dilemma is that I have access to free stone dust. I know it isn't the same, but would it be an ok alternative? Hoping someone knows more! Thanks!

Oh! And our run is pretty wet because of out location!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    If the stone dust is a fine powder, I personally would avoid it for my chickens as well as myself.
    I have seen beach sand from crushed stone. It was like the size of a grain of rice cut in half. That I would not mind using.
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

snow5164 likes this.
  3. EliseD2012

Aug 19, 2018
    Thank you! I am actually starting to shy away from sand all together. I have read that in the colder months it doesn't insulate well and can get really hard (like cement?) Have you heard anything like this by chance? I don't want any broken legs!

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    There are many Fake News, and Fake Opinions in the world. I do not fear sand whatsoever. I use course type myself. Fine sand tends to be dusty, so I avoid that type.
    Insulate :idunno from what??? No different for chickens to walk on dirt than on sand. If ground freezes, nothing is going to be soft. Many here like to line the runs in winter with hay or straw. I'm in favor of such.

snow5164 and Soon2BChixMom like this.
  5. EliseD2012

Aug 19, 2018
    Thank you! I only saw that in one or two places, but it made me hesitate because I only want to do right for my little ones! You do make sense though! Our coop is basically mud right now because of all the rain we have gotten in the past two weeks. If it were frozen it would be hard too! I was thinking the fine sand would be too dusty so off to search for a place who sells the course stuff in bulk! I am hoping to get it soon, but I feel like in need the coop to dry out a little first. Rain rain go away!! (for a week or so!)

cavemanrich likes this.
  6. Farmgirl1878

Farmgirl1878 Songster

Mar 17, 2017
    Piketon, Ohio
    Check with your local quarry for coarse, washed, natural river sand. The construction sand is crushed rock and is very dusty. The natural sand is made up of smooth rocks of lots of different sizes and is not dusty. Here’s what it should look like.

You can buy it by the dump truck load, delivered. I use it in the coop, on the poop boards, in the nest boxes, and in the run and clean it with a kitty litter scoop. I use a mesh wok skimmer utensil for the hard to reach stuff. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZXGLW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

townchicks, CherMarie and snow5164 like this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is the wetness a drainage problem or just a rainy climate?
    Standing water puddles or....?
    Sand in run, IMO, is much better suited to an arid climate.
    Wet, poop saturated(you can never pick it all up) sand reeks!

I use wood chippings, and other dry plant materials, to 'eat' up the poops via cold compost in my run, no stink (even when wet) and no cleaning up of poops ever.

Callender Girl, townchicks and Justso like this.
  8. Farmgirl1878

Farmgirl1878 Songster

Mar 17, 2017
    Piketon, Ohio
    Lol, our chickens are right next to the septic field, so it always stinks like poop - theirs or mine! We have an aerator that runs every thirty minutes... :lau

9. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    It’s not wet from the septic aerator right? Because that would be unhealthy for them ....

Why is your run wet ??

Ours is in the pasture .. I wouldn’t want my food near it :)

Farmgirl1878 likes this.
  10. Farmgirl1878

Farmgirl1878 Songster

Mar 17, 2017
    Piketon, Ohio
    Nope, the aerator stirs it up, but nothing but stink comes out! The aerator is actually in the bottom of the septic tank.

The run is drying out from all the rain we’ve had the last few days. It’s not usually swampy.

snow5164 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: