1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Coop Security... a general 'thank you'

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by seanb, Sep 14, 2011.

1. seanb

seanb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    Just wanted to put out a huge 'thank you' to all who've provided advice in keeping chickens safe.

I say this because three of our neighbors have lost chickens recently to racoons. One lost 20. The other lost all but one (don't know how many she had overall) and the third lost 11 out of the 17 they had. In two instances, racoons were killed inside the pen or coop.

I realize they're only livestock but we've become so attached to ours that we couldn't imagine even one of them dying due to negligence. We not only close our pop door every night, I'm now considering drilling holes from the outside of the coop, through the wall studs and into the side of the door so I can slide a 1/4" rod through as a deadbolt. It would only have to be about three feet long to reach. The only other way in would be the windows and they're screened with hardware cloth.

Thanks again.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Wow, so glad you did your research and made your coop like Fort Knox! Good for you! [​IMG]

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:And I like to say you are very welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by