Coop security and insulation

Skibunny6703

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
I stapled all the hardware cloth on and most of it is trimmed out onthe frame too but I left the inside areas un trimmed and just stapled good or bad??

Should I insulate the hen house?? I built a cabin coop. Debating on throwing foam insulation on the walls of the coop and the ceiling maybe under neath the coop floor too or should I not even bother??

I am in Massachusetts Southern mass near the cape

thanks Mindy

JackE

Crowing
Apr 26, 2010
North Eastern Md.
What I did with the hardware cloth, is staple it, using heavy duty staples you hammer in, to the outside of every opening. Then, I nailed pine trim boards around the openings, and over the hardware cloth. I don't have any screening inside. Don't want any sharp, uncovered things in the coop.
As far as insulation goes, you don't need it, because the chickens already come with perfect insulation of their own. If you put insulation inside the coop, you will have to install interior walls. Otherwise the chickens will shred and eat the insulation. Then, if you have interior walls, you will have provided a nice hidden place for mites, mice, and other pests, a nice hidden home of their own. Interior walls, IMO, are not a good idea in a chicken coop.
Jack

chfite

Songster
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Taylors, SC
Leaving the stapled wire untrimmed would be fine, if the staples are poultry staples that are hammered in. I found that even pneumatically installed staples would not hold off an aggressive assault on the wire.

Any exposed sharp edges are likely more of a problem for you. Chickens are covered with feathers. Our skin is much more subject to damage from the wire.

The chickens will do better with good ventilation and no drafts.

Chris

Dirtymax9812

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 1, 2013
Mid-Michigan
I have a 16' X 5' fenced in run that I did the same thing that you did. I just stapled the hardware cloth to the 2x4's, and hammered them in. I put staples about every 2-3" along the way, and ensured that they were all hammered in. I only put a trim piece on the corners to "sandwich" the harware cloth between the harware cloth. I dont think that I'm going to have any issues with predators, or security
big_smile.png

-DirtyMax9812

Top Bottom