Coop sharing space with workshop, okay?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by we3ernes, Mar 18, 2015.

1. we3ernes

we3ernes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2013
    North Central Texas
    I would like to build a single outbuilding that would house my shop and coop. There would be a wall between the shop end and the coop end, will the loud noises be a problem for my flock? I'm talking about table saws, chopsaws, and pneumatic nailers.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The shop and coop are maybe 30' apart here, and they used to have day access to the area all the way around the chop, as well as inside. We found they got used to the noise, and paid it no attention. We had one hen who made her nest and laid her daily egg in the shop. Of course, we had some poop and feathers in the shop, but not that much of it. Apparently they preferred being in their own coop where the food and water are, or else outdoors. And believe me, that shop gets plenty noisy from machines sometimes.

3. we3ernes

we3ernes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2013
    North Central Texas
    Is there no one whose coop shares a wall with a workshop?

4. ourltlflock

ourltlflock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    Las Vegas
    I guess you could say that mine share a wall to our shop. We have a 30x40 shop and our chickens are right against the wall on the outside. We make a lot of noise and the radio is on all weekend long. Doesn't seem to bother the chickens at all...

We do metal work.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by