Coop shopping list? Need some help!

Sarah B.

Chirping
Jul 12, 2017
Iceland
I have three chicks currently, two Icelandics one Easter Egger. One of the Icelandics is a roo, a cockorel I mean. Anyway I'm going to be building their coop in the next week. And today I'm going 'shopping'.

Now my garden has a hut, it's not big, sort of small, but I think it's big enough for three chickens. Outside, there's a patch of grass I've been allowed to turn into a run. It's bigger than the hut, two or three times as big. Very green grass, healthy. Now, in my neighbourhood cats are local -every other pet-owner owns a cat- (I even have my own personal cat-stalker, very creepy). Anyway, I'm making a shopping list for all the things I need to buy, because I'm going to the hardware store today.

What I've got so far (on the list, what I need) ;
Chicken wire (I'll measure how much I need)
Wood - to hold the chicken wire up and in place
Wood (thicker) - for the nests and the walk they'll use to get in and out.
Hay - for inside the nests
Thin wooden sticks - for roosters

Maybe a water and food bowl/container.

What I own ;
Chick food (will do for another four to six weeks)
Pine shavings
Water
Flooring
Paint
Hammer
Nails

Other ;
A hut
A patch of grass for the run
Chicks

Do I need anything else? Or is that it?

I'd use screws rather than nails, so if you need to dismatle anything in the future and they're more difficult for large predators to pull down walls/panels. Straight natural branches make the best purches, but 2x2s work well too (flat side up so the birds can rest their breast against it without being poked). The edges can be rounded off, but don't make them too smooth or the birds can't get a grip.

It's your property fenced? Are there any other predators in your area? Chicken wire is not predator proof. Also, most of is use 2x3 or 2x4 for roosts. Thin wooden sticks aren't the best for roosts.

No other predators that can get into my garden (not counting birds but the only ones local are seagulls and tiny birds, both avoid people -or at least their houses and gardens). Yes and like TwinsLoveChicks said hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. So I won't be getting that, turns out I'm going tomorrow. And when I said thin wooden sticks I really just meant thinner compared to the other wood I'm getting. But thanks.

Sounds good, but I would get hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. More expensive, but way more predator proof.

Ok, I will. Thanks. Now I know.

I'd use screws rather than nails, so if you need to dismatle anything in the future and they're more difficult for large predators to pull down walls/panels. Straight natural branches make the best purches, but 2x2s work well too (flat side up so the birds can rest their breast against it without being poked). The edges can be rounded off, but don't make them too smooth or the birds can't get a grip.

Screws, natural branches or 2x2 wood. Check. Thank you.

i think you need to make some plans and get some measurements.

i don’t see going to home depot for “wood” and “thicker wood” working out well.

I want to improve my coop and maybe make it a little bigger so the hens would be comfortable. I'm thinking about the best materials to buy for that. It would be excellent if someone could tell me what would work best for me here. Also, I saw some incredible deals on https://www.dontpayfull.com/explore, so I think I can find something there for my household and chickens. It's probably long overdue to get them new bowls because the old ones already look pretty creepy, like some giant monster chewed them up. If I can also save some money, this is just what I need.

Back
Top Bottom