Coop Siding Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahma Chicken5000

Araucana Addict
Sep 26, 2017
Central New Jersey
I’m building a new coop this March, I’m getting an old shed, swing set, fence posts, fencing, and miscellaneous wood all from my aunt. I would like to cut the shed walls down to size and use them for the henhouse walls, but I’m worried that it might be cheap particle board and useless once it gets wet. I have a lot of extra Pergo wood flooring pieces that would make a very attractive siding for my henhouse. The problem is that the Pergo flooring is not water resistant/proof. Is there a way that I can seal the pieces so that I can use them for siding? Should I coat them in polyerthane? If there is a way to make the Pergo flooring water resistant/proof and will the finished product be chicken safe? Should I let the henhouse air out for a week or two before I put the chickens in their new coop? I really am at a loss on what to do. Any advice or ideas is welcome.

Last edited:
Pergo as in laminate? Are you planning on siding the outside or inside with it? Laminate is basically layers of particle board compressed together and then they put an image on the top that is coated to preserve it. However, most laminate is not water proof and I dont beleive there would be anything to make it waterproof otherwise people woukd do so in their houses.
However, there are differnt types of lamjjnste and some is constructed so that it is more water resistant than others. Again, it wouldn't be a good thing for the outside of the coop - maybe the inside?
If the shed is made with osb, a good coating of paint and maybe water sealant would help to keep it from rotting faster. You might have to repaint more often though.
Maybe check craigslist for some vinyl siding.

Yes it’s Pergo as in laminate. I would like to use it for the exterior of the coop as it would look gorgeous. My dad was worried that the shed might be made of oriented strand board. Do you think I could use the Pergo as the flooring inside the henhouse? I’m worried that the moisture from the droppings will warp it over time. I’ll also check craigslist.

Last edited:
Pergo for the floor is a big NO. If it absorbs moisture it's going to swell, warp, buckle and eventually fall apart. It's not really made for a damp environment. It would turn into a horrible warped mess with lots of cracks filled with shit.

You might get away with using it outside if you had nice deep overhanging roof and the coop was somewhere that wasn't going to get wind driven rain or snow. Even then I wouldn't expect it to last more than a few years. You could try to use some kind of exterior grade silicone caulking to seal all the seams. That might extend it's life. You could also try to use some batten boards to cover every seem. But that is going to be a lot of extra battens if the Prego is the typical 3-4 inch flooring. You'd still have to find a way to protect any horizontal joins as well.

Pergo for the floor is a big NO. If it absorbs moisture it's going to swell, warp, buckle and eventually fall apart. It's not really made for a damp environment. It would turn into a horrible warped mess with lots of cracks filled with shit.

You might get away with using it outside if you had nice deep overhanging roof and the coop was somewhere that wasn't going to get wind driven rain or snow. Even then I wouldn't expect it to last more than a few years. You could try to use some kind of exterior grade silicone caulking to seal all the seams. That might extend it's life. You could also try to use some batten boards to cover every seem. But that is going to be a lot of extra battens if the Prego is the typical 3-4 inch flooring. You'd still have to find a way to protect any horizontal joins as well.
Thank you for the advice. Looks like I won’t be using the Pergo, oh well it was just an idea.

I have seen people use osb for coops. It might not last as long, but paint would extend its life. Of course, siding it would be better.

Just for reference it is oriented not oriental. That could just be auto correct (as it does some doozies for me), but thought I would let would let ya know.

I have seen people use osb for coops. It might not last as long, but paint would extend its life. Of course, siding it would be better.

Just for reference it is oriented not oriental. That could just be auto correct (as it does some doozies for me), but thought I would let would let ya know.
Oh it’s oriented. Thanks for letting me know, I’ll change it now. So I could use the osb shed walls for the henhouse and then I’ll put some sort of siding over it to keep it from getting wet and to insulate the henhouse.

Oh, I just remembered. There was a trend of people using flooring as wall decor or backsplash only to eventually have it buckle due the orientation on the wall and to gravity. So, I don't think it would work at all for siding. Think of when it rains, it doesn't come straight down and no eave is going to keep it dry.

I’m getting an old shed, swing set, fence posts, fencing, and miscellaneous wood all from my aunt. I would like to cut the shed walls down to size and use them for the henhouse walls, but I’m worried that it might be cheap particle board and useless once it gets wet.
Got a pic of this shed?
Are you going to use the shed as a coop,
or tear it apart and use the wood to build anew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom