Coop siding? what to use?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gale65, Aug 13, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our current coop has T-111 siding and I *think* it has oxboard underneath that. Is this a good combo? We are adding on and want to do it right the first time.

Are there any threads that you know of that show the progress of building a coop out of regular wood (not pallets)?

eta: our current coop was bought already all put together.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    My husband says it sounds like it should be okay. We used medium density fiber board that looks like barn siding. We also used 2 X 4 to construct the walls and put insulation with OSB on the inside. Even though we are in NC, we are closer to the VA border and still get some pretty cold weather and some snow, so we kinda over-built it [​IMG] We just got our girls this spring, so we haven't gone through the winter with them yet. The insulation really seemed to help with the HOT weather we just had [​IMG] Just make sure you cover any insulation with something or they will peck at it and eat it [​IMG]

3. MrCluckers

MrCluckers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    My coop is a bit over built, but I put up 7/16 OSB, used 3/8 fan fold insulation, and covered it with vinyl siding. Of course, I own my own construction company and tend to overbuild things, even my chicken coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  4. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    What a beautiful coop! [​IMG]

5. MrCluckers

Mar 4, 2011
    Thank you, its not quite finished yet... and most likely never will be. I tend to tinker alot.

6. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Can I come live in your coop? [​IMG]

No help to the OP - our coop is a shed that was put together the redneck way. One of the four walls has insulation....

7. MrCluckers

Mar 4, 2011
    Actually a friend of ours did say it was bigger and nicer than her first home... not sure if she was telling the truth or not.

8. MrCluckers

Mar 4, 2011
    It is actually 160 square feet, or approximately 1280 cubed feet. The attached run is 1200 square feet

9. Terrik

Terrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Dallas, OR
    That coop makes my chickens extremely jealous. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by