coop size 6 hens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LUXFARMS, Mar 31, 2013.

1. LUXFARMS

LUXFARMS Hatching

Mar 31, 2013
    new here and to chicken raising, so don't beat on me too bad. i get the 4' rule for floor space. how much head room is recomended? how many perches inside?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    For roost space, allow 12" per bird (if they are large fowl). You can do a little less if they are bantams. The number of roosts you have will depend on how many birds, and how much roost space you need. If they will all fit onto one roost, that is all you need, but if the dimensions of your coop don't allow for that length, then you will need to add another. I would try to do them at the same level though, as they want to get as high as they can, so will fight for space on the "top" roost, if they are at different levels.

As for head room, I would allow a minimum of 12" there too, and 18" might be preferable.

3. LUXFARMS

LUXFARMS Hatching

Mar 31, 2013
    thx! so if i read this right, i could have a coop 3' wide X 3' long X 18" high, attach 2 exturnal nest box and i would be good to go?

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    18" high is pretty low and would make getting in to clean it out pretty difficult. If there is any way you can go higher, you will be glad later that you did.

5. Chick farm

Chick farm In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    A 3' x 3' coop only gives you 9 sq ft of space. That is good for two chickens, not six. You would need 24 sq ft of floor space, so at least 4' x 6'. And wouldn't head space be while they are roosting? The roosts need to be up off the floor of your coop, then 12"-18" inches above that.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    x2. I had forgotten that the title of the thread was for 6 hens, so when I replied earlier, I didn't realize how many you were talking about.

The general rule of thumb is 4sq. ft of coop space, plus 10 sq. ft of run space PER BIRD. As Chick farm said, for 6 birds, that means 24 sq. feet of coop. Allowing for 12" roost space per bird, you would also need 6' of roost lengthwise, and yes, they do want to be up off the ground.

Since lumber is usually sold in 8' lengths, the easiest builds are those that are in multiples of 4 or 8 - less cutting and you use more of the lumber you purchase. If you can build your coop 4x8, your birds will thank you for the little bit of extra space, and the first time you have to get in there and clean it out, you will be glad you made it that little bit bigger. I wouldn't go less than 4' tall. That allows you to build a roost that is 2' off the ground and they still have head room.

If you go up to the coops section of the forum, you can find some great designs, some complete with plans. I know of one person who closed in the area under her deck and turned that into a beautiful little coop/run area for her silkies.

7. Ga Boy

Ga Boy Chirping

Mar 20, 2013
    Gainesville Ga
    This coop will hold at lest 6 whole hens. [​IMG]
    Lol, key 4SqFt per bird if you live in the south you could push that number a little. Cold weather equals more use of coop.

8. LUXFARMS

LUXFARMS Hatching

Mar 31, 2013
    I like the way you think. Ha!

9. LUXFARMS

LUXFARMS Hatching

Mar 31, 2013
    Ha!! I like the way you think!!

10. LUXFARMS

LUXFARMS Hatching

Mar 31, 2013
    Sorry HEchick, hit the wrong button. great info! Now I can start the design. Thanks so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: