Coop Size and Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Henchickkk15, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Henchickkk15

Henchickkk15 Just Hatched

Jun 1, 2016
    Hello all! This is a re-post as I accidently posted it into a wrong section earlier.
    So I am trying to figure out if I have room to add a Silkie to my small backyard flock. Currently, I have 4 chicks coming on Thursday, and I have heard wonderful things about Silkies. And they are so cute! My coop is 6' 1" long and 4' 1" wide. And that's the run, which goes under the henhouse. The henhouse is about 3' 7" also by 4' 1". So I have 2 California Whites, a Red Sexlink, and an Australorp. Plus possibly a Silkie. Would bullying be an issue in this situation?
    Thanks!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If you plan to keep them in the run, once they are adults, then your run is likely not large enough. The recommended run space requirement is 10 sqft per adult bird. Your run is approx 24 sqft meaning that you really only have sufficient room for 2 adult, standard chickens. It may be worth re-appraising your set up, and possibly consider extending the run or reducing your flock size. Generally speaking, the more space your chickens have, the happier and less stressed they will be.

Some people keep silkies with their flock, others do not. Members on the silkie thread are likely to be able to offer the best advice on that issue.

CT

3. Henchickkk15

Henchickkk15 Just Hatched

Jun 1, 2016
    Okay.Thank you. But I honestly think (personally) 10 sqft per bird is a bit unrealistic in backyard situations. I know a lot of people have different opinions on it, but when I let my chickens out every day to scratch in the garden, that adds a different part to it, too. So they don't just sit in the run all day.
    Thanks again for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by