Coop size and roost question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LD Jackson, May 13, 2011.

1. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Okay, let me see if I can explain what my question is with the help of a couple of pictures.

The size of the coop, converted from a pigeon loft, is approximately 12' long by 10' wide. That is the main portion of the structure, with a smaller section that I am using for a brooder at the moment. You can the ledge where they can come and go from the smaller section and I plan on installing the nest boxes in that section. My thoughts are to run a 2 x 4 flat from one end of the larger section to the other, about 36" off the floor. I can secure it to the ends and to the landscaping timber you see in the picture, as well as supporting it by means of another landscaping timber post/brace from the floor. I would like to be able to keep 15 hens, mostly Black Australorps, but also some Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, and Rhode Island Reds. They should be able to use the ledge to access the roost and to leave it, without having to jump so far, up or down.

Does all of that make sense and sound like it could work?

[​IMG]

2. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    While we are at it, here is one more question. As I said in my original post, I plan on building nest boxes in the smaller section that I am using as a brooder. I have heard that hens will find a nest if you build it, so does it stand to reason that they will be willing to lay in the smaller section, even though it is somewhat separate from the main coop?

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Do they only have to go through a door to get to the other section or is it like a tunnel? Either way, they'd probably figure it out on their own. They like to explore, once they get comfortable in an area. Whether they'll want to lay there or make a place to lay on their own in the main section, is just something you'll have to wait to find out.

I would place your roost 18" from the wall and support it any way you need to. That should work fine. A gently rounded 2x4 with the flat side up works great as a roost.

4. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Quote:Thanks for the advice. The access is just a door, no tunnel. I really hope they will use the nests in the smaller section, as it will give them more floor space in the main coop. Of course, I can't think like a chicken, so who knows what they will be thinking.

5. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    I just measured the coop again and I was wrong. It is 9' x 6', not counting the smaller section where I intend to place the nests.

6. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    One more thing. The door that leads to the nesting section of the coop is 9.5" tall and 8.25" wide. Shouldn't that be big enough for a Black Australorp sized hen to fit through or should I make it bigger?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by