1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coop size - can they fly down?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wahmommy, Feb 8, 2013.

1. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    I have a combined coop/run (open design) where the roost is in the back about 1 foot from the back wall -the front wall is six feet from the roost. I put the chickens (pullets) who have not had a lot of chance to roost previously on the roost to get them used to it, but when they fly down they seem to be flying into the front wall as if they need more room to fly down. The front wall is made of hardware cloth, so maybe they think they can fly through it? ;) Or maybe they need more than six feet to fly down? The roost is at 3' 10". I thought six feet would be enough... or maybe they just need to learn how to do it?

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I have roosts that are 7' high, and I have roosts that are only 4' high also.
    So the chickens usually fly up to the 4' roost then up to the 7' roost.
    They will fly down from the 7' roost, but, yes, they need more room for the landing (and a soft bedding).

3. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    Hi AlienChick :)

The roost they are flying down from are less than 4' high, but they are still flying into the hardware cloth front...how much space do your need to fly down from 4'?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by