Coop Size Concerns

hoeftam

Songster
5 Years
Jun 21, 2018
Wisconsin
We are just about ready to move our chicks from their brooder to their coop. My mother in law was gracious enough to gift us with a pre-built coop from fleet farm. It says that it is supposed to house 5-7 chickens. It is a small coop with 3 nest boxes, 2 roost bars, and a run. I measured the inside of the coop because I was concerned it was a bit too small. The total square feet of the inside (not including nest boxes) is only about 6 square feet. I read that chickens should have at least 4 square feet each. We have 6 standard-sized chickens (not bantam). The chickens will have access to a larger fenced in area. I'm concerned that this coop is too small. Is it going to be big enough for our girls?
IMG_20180621_152705773_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180621_152721891_HDR.jpg

How old are your chicks now? Depending on their age, this might work as an intermediate coop for a short while - until they outgrow it - but, it's not going to work long term. I'm sure your MIL had the best of intentions, and lots of people have been misled by the manufacturers rating - which is almost always woefully inaccurate.

Do you have space to put a 24 sq. ft. minimum coop for when they are adults? That's probably what you want to start evaluating next, and then use the time ahead to execute on that plan.

:welcome

That IS small. :hmm

Many people have found that turning the entire structure into a coop works.

I would use it while they grow. It would work for a "grow out" coop.

Are you able to build a bigger coop?

Hoop coops are an easy thing to build with minimal skills and minimal tools.

There are hundreds of coops in the coop section here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

It was very nice of her to get one for you. It's just a little to small. (Ok it's a lot to small)

PS. The hinges, latches and how the wire are attached are common fail points with the prefab coops.

If possible to return it that nay be the way to go and put the money into a larger structure.

Thank you so much for all of the information and the fast responses.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to hurt her feelings or waste her money. The coop was pretty expensive. I also had a feeling that the coop wasn't going to be big enough.

We do have the space to build a bigger coop, but we are lacking in money and skills to build one.

Our chicks are going to be 6 weeks old on Monday. They are all fully feathered (except for the Brahma). They are running out of room in the brooder.

General rule is 4 square foot a bird inside the coop and 10 square foot a bird for run space. It is too small, but it will work while they are young! It is a great little coop though. Hopefully y'all can work out something inexpensive! Good luck!

How sweet of your mother-in-law <3 It's too bad that the "recommended" number of chickens on those coops are so inflated!:hmm Before I started reading on BYC I was just about to buy one of those.

I second the motion to check out some Hoop Coop builds and see if that's something you may be able to take on: https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/26521881/?q=hoop+coop&t=ams_article&o=date

What's your general location? If you put it in your profile folks can give you better climate-specific advice about coops.
(Account - Personal Details - scroll down and you can fill in the box for "Location", then it will show up under your profile pic when you post)

P.S. "Astrid" is such a lovely name, and "Eggness" is pure genius!

ETA: here's a pic of how to put your location in your profile, courtesy of aart: profile location

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom