Coop Size for 10-12 hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by arh39, Oct 22, 2013.

1. arh39

arh39 New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I was wanting to get an idea on what size coop I would need for 10-12 hens. They would all be relatively light breeds and would be completely free range, except for at night when they would be locked up in the coop. Also is 3 nesting boxes per hen a good ratio.

Thanks again :)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think you mean 3-4 hens per box.
    One of my coops is 6X8 and perfect for that number of light hens.
    LF need about 4 sq. ft. per bird.

1 person likes this.
  3. Banriona

Banriona Chillin' With My Peeps

The general rule is 4sf per bird (less if they are bantams, more if they are larger breeds) inside the coop. 3 hens per box should be plenty. I'd say a 6x6 coop should be sufficient. Keep in mind anything on the floor counts against floor space available for the birds so if you have your nesting boxes, feeders, waterers etc. on the floor don't count that space in your available square footage.

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Bigger is better. Look at what dimensions your materials come in (plywood comes in 4x8 sheets, things like that) and plan you coop to best utilize your materials. 12 hens means a minimum of 48 square feet, remember that's a minimum.

You say you're going to free range, keep in mind there may be times when your birds have to be confines. Foul weather, predator issues, vacation, those things all may require the birds being confined. Plan accordingly.

1 person likes this.
  5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    All solid advice and I agree wholeheartedly. If you really do follow through with free ranging, or have a fenced in run (with hawk netting over it) attached to the coop (very advisable so they can still move about though yet more confined), you can get away with the smaller size of 48 sqf.

Just be aware that no matter how many reasonable nesting boxes you provide (and 3 is adequate for that many birds if 12x12x12 inches), they will likely all vie to use the same one and leave the other two completely empty and unused even though the other boxes are identical to the "golden box." It has nothing to do with the adequacy of the boxes but the fact they are bird brains. [​IMG]

Lady of McCamley

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by