We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Coop Size for 22 chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Danny188, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Danny188

Danny188 Chirping

Jul 22, 2019
    Iowa
    Our coop is a 6×5 foot coop we have two roosts running the six foot leath and we have 2 tempory roosts that are about 3 1/2 feet long that are made of plywood, also will a flat plywood board as a roost mess up their feet. The long roosts are made of a branch and a 2×2 we have 3 full grown chickens that i got from a freind that are unknown breeds and we have 9 buff Orpingtons that are 9 weeks old in the coop with them and 10 rhode island reds that are also 9 weeks. Will their be enough room when they are all full sized.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

What kind of climate do you live in?

The reason I ask is in a mild climate where the chickens are rarely or never locked up...you can make a smaller coop work.

But... if you live where there is lots of snow, cold blowing winds in a long winter etc... then you want to go as huge as possible and a roofed run is a huge help... or connect them all to a greenhouse.

But... for mild weather places... it is 4 square feet per bird MINIMUM. So 22 chickens need a 10x10 coop. That is a bit more than 4 square feet per bird... but an 8x10 is too little.

slippednfell and ocap like this.
  3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Are you raising any of them for meat? Are they all to be kept long term as layers?

4. Danny188

Danny188 Chirping

Jul 22, 2019
    Iowa
    Yea they would have to be locked up in the winter we coulld probably cover their run we also have to lock them up at night.

5. Danny188

Danny188 Chirping

Jul 22, 2019
    Iowa
    They are laying hens i saw on you tube a guy fit like 50 hens in a 8×6 becuse it was full of roosts they will be outside all day most of the year. I mean its better than cages were they can even turrn around in right?

6. Danny188

Danny188 Chirping

Jul 22, 2019
    Iowa
    We have a barn they are in and in the winter we could make something work im talking about just putting them in at night

7. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    try to provide a foot of roost space per bird if you can within your existing structure

8. Danny188

Danny188 Chirping

Jul 22, 2019
    Iowa
    Ok thanks we can do that i will take pics of what it is like rightnow

9. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Just because they "fit" doesn't mean there won't be problems.

What about nest boxes?
    Inside or hanging off the side?
    Food and water inside or out?
    Roof height from the floor?

A higher roof means more air volume which means less humid. Humidity and cold winters are a disaster waiting to happen.

I have 22 hens in an 8x14 coop mine spend quite a bit of time in that coop in winter. It gets pretty pooped up quickly.

That's another consideration.....cleaning and manure management.

The 30 square foot of space you currently have will work for 7 hens only.

I strongly recommend making part of all of the barn chicken space or building a 10x10 coop.

jthornton, aart and Halfpasthen like this.
  10. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    And no, flat boards are actually best for them. Chickens are not like sparrows whose feet lock around a twig. Chickens sleep flat-footed, so you're fine.

11. Halfpasthen

Halfpasthen Chirping

Jan 29, 2019

This is my thought also. I’m sure you could cram birds into a coop but that doesn’t mean you should.

The ammonia alone is going to be a huge issue. Not considering the behavioral issues that crop up when animals aren’t given the space they need.

jthornton and 21hens-incharge like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: