1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop size please HELP me

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bub19, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Bub19

Bub19 Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    I received a little building or coop it is 7 feet tall 3feet wide and 4 feet deep how many isa browns can I put in this? I am going to add a outside run onto it please help thanks bub

2. mclanea

mclanea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2016
    San Diego
    Where do you live?

4-5 if they are just going to sleep there.

3. Bub19

Bub19 Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    Nw ohio

4. Bub19

Bub19 Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    I was at a tsc store today and there coop they had built outside had a sign that said the price 169.00 and up to 8 chickens.so I got my tape measure out and the nest area/sleeping area was 3feet deep 30inches wide and 30 inches tall I guess I am confused that's why I am asking for help

5. mclanea

mclanea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2016
    San Diego
    Well, I'll let others speak into the size and howmmany because I live in SoCal and have a similar size and it's fine for 5-6. But they never get locked in there for an extended period... like say for snow! So I really don't know how many you can keep in there. I do know Tractor Supply is kind of notorious for over estimating that.

6. Bub19

Bub19 Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    Thanks for ur info I do appreciate it that what I am thinking about tsc

7. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    It's ideal to have 4 square ft per bird so if it's 3 x 4 then 3 birds. The height does not really mean much. it's open floor space that's most important. Don't count the nest space or feeding space. 10 ft per bird in the run. Tsc coops never hold the birds they advertise. I hope this helps

8. Bub19

Bub19 Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    Thank you for your info I appreciate it so if I want 12 Birds I'm going to have to have a 12 by 4 coop?

9. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Yes or 6x8 or any combo that equals 48 sq ft of floor space. I live in nh so like this past nor'Easter we got they had to stay in the coop for 2 days and they were not crowded and didn't pick at each other

1 person likes this.
  10. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    Pre fabricated coops always overstate how many birds they can hold. The guideline that gets quoted most frequently is 4 sq ft per bird in the coop, not including nesting boxes or roost spaces, and an additional 10 sq ft per bird in the run. I've found this to be a good starting place. If you can give your birds more space they'll love it and conversely if your birds free range all day you may be able to get away with a slightly less.

If you're just getting started I'd advise you to build the largest coop and run you can get away with. You may start with 12 chickens but you may decide you want 12 more :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by