1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop size Questions...Please help..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jennylove21326, Mar 24, 2012.

1. jennylove21326

jennylove21326 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Seneca, SC
    Ok. So I might sound DUMB but I have NEVER had chickens before, so I figured I'd better ask before building and making a mistake. I have done my reading, and know that chickens need at least 3sq. feet per bird inside the coup. Does this just cover floor space or vertical space as well??? Example of this being Do I need (for 6 chickens) a coup that is 6X9 feet floor space and whatever high, or can I go for say 5X5 and maybe 5 feet high with ladder roosts?? Now this is in addition to the out side run. Which I am thinking of being like 10X20 or will that be too small?? Or will they be spoiled?? LOL .\

I am asking questions before I start building, but I gotta get started in the very near future!!! They can't stay locked in the bathroom forever!! LOL. I have VERY curious Kitties!!!

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    I've always heard it as 4 sq ft (for standard breeds, less for bantams) per bird, and sq ft by definition refers to floor space. Otherwise it'd be called cubic feet. Anyway, for 6 chickens then you need a coop that is 4' x 6' of floor space. Then you need to make sure you have room for nests, feed, water, etc. As for height, you just need to make sure you have a roost with enough space above the chickens' heads so they aren't mashed up against the ceiling. And you need proper ventilation.

And a 10 x 20 run for 6 chickens will definitely spoil them. I aim for minimum 10 sq ft per bird of run (but I also pasture my chickens in good weather), so 200 sq ft for 6 birds is luxurious. :)

3. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    If they had access to the insider the coop all day as well, do you count the square footage in the coop AND the run?

4. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Sort of. If you were going for total confinement, your coop would need to have at least 10 sq ft per bird, but the 4 sq ft per bird rule assumes you're giving them some sort of outdoor space. So in that sense, the run is included with the overall space per bird. But the 4 sq ft per bird is still important for the coop because you need to allow enough space for times when ALL the chickens are in there at the same time, like at night or if they prefer it in bad weather.

5. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    thank you!

6. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    In my opinion and personal experience, 2-3 sq. ft. per hen of inside the house space is fine and then about 10 sq. ft. per hen of run space.

7. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    You don't need a large coop, but the do need a large run. I would build a coop raise about 24" above ground so the chickens can have a place to hide underneath during hot, cold, and raining weather.

8. jennylove21326

jennylove21326 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Seneca, SC
    Even if the run is covered???? I am thinking of going 5X5 on the coop and having one side swing open like a big door for clean outs. Any thoughts?

9. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Yes, you don't need the space under the house if you are providing a covered run. Heck, some coops don't have any covered space other than inside the house. Having the house raised is nice not only because it does add extra run space but it raises the height of the house so you don't need to stoop when cleaning or collecting eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by