Coop size requirement - specific question

hammerbarner

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2023
Hi.
In https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ultry-keepers-make-and-how-to-fix-them.67667/ (under "Not buying/building a big enough coop"), it states "Chickens need a minimum of 4 sq feet each in the coop, and preferably 10 sq feet of run space".

I'm eyeing this one https://www.coopsandhutchesperth.com.au/product-page/chicken-coop-304-006 (1330L x 1140H x 950W mm) for 3 chickens. Is this enough space for 3 chickens? Does the 4sq feet area includes the nesting box area? If it does include the nesting box area, then this coop would be enough (1330L x 950W = 1.2635 square metre, which is 13.6002008 square foot, which is above the recommended 12sq feet)?
Thank you everyone.

PS: I should mention: the chicken run outside the coop is planned to be 2metrex4.8metre, which is 9.6square metre, which is 103.334 square feet.
Thank you all.

Last edited:
Is this enough space for 3 chickens?
No. And the coop is one of those horribly designed coops with next to no ventilation and constructed with extremely poor grade materials.
Does the 4sq feet area includes the nesting box area?
No. It does not include the nest boxes.

I advise you find an old outbuilding to convert into a coop. You will be way ahead of the game that way.

Don't just fixate on the size of the coop but on the design for maintenance of not only the coop but the birds in them. It's no fun trying to extract a bird from the back of a coop that you cannot walk into.

ALL coops need copious amounts of ventilation. Most people think in terms of sq inches when you need to think in terms of sq feet (meters) of ventilation. Ventilation is very important as birds require high air exchange to remove moist stale air and bring in fresh air.

Also, roost time can be one of the nastiest times for a flock as birds are jockeying for the best positions. They need enough linear space per bird to do that. The standard recommendation is 1 linear foot of roost per bird. You will find nights when they are all huddled together and other nights when they are spread out. They need space to position themselves depending on the current flock status and the weather.

No. And the coop is one of those horribly designed coops with next to no ventilation and constructed with extremely poor grade materials.

No. It does not include the nest boxes.

I advise you find an old outbuilding to convert into a coop. You will be way ahead of the game that way.

Don't just fixate on the size of the coop but on the design for maintenance of not only the coop but the birds in them. It's no fun trying to extract a bird from the back of a coop that you cannot walk into.

ALL coops need copious amounts of ventilation. Most people think in terms of sq inches when you need to think in terms of sq feet (meters) of ventilation. Ventilation is very important as birds require high air exchange to remove moist stale air and bring in fresh air.

Also, roost time can be one of the nastiest times for a flock as birds are jockeying for the best positions. They need enough linear space per bird to do that. The standard recommendation is 1 linear foot of roost per bird. You will find nights when they are all huddled together and other nights when they are spread out. They need space to position themselves depending on the current flock status and the weather.
Agreed!

If you are in a warm climate, a cost-effective coop can be basically a large, secure, roofed chicken run with a section at the back with solid walls. But on nice days, your chickens may roost in the open air section.

Or my current set up has two parallel solid walls (old wooden fence sections I repaired and repurposed) and two wire walls, which I can tarp off if weather gets nasty. But I am in the south and we deal with humid heat a lot more than cold. 🤷‍♀️ If you get cold weather, I recommend the first set up.

Agreed!

If you are in a warm climate, a cost-effective coop can be basically a large, secure, roofed chicken run with a section at the back with solid walls. But on nice days, your chickens may roost in the open air section.

Or my current set up has two parallel solid walls (old wooden fence sections I repaired and repurposed) and two wire walls, which I can tarp off if weather gets nasty. But I am in the south and we deal with humid heat a lot more than cold. 🤷‍♀️ If you get cold weather, I recommend the first set up.
Realized my description wasnt great. So picture a rectangle and 2/3 has a roof but hardware cloth walls. Then the back 1/3 has 3 solid walls and a roof. So it’s one big “room,” but part is protected from wind and sideways rains. I would put roosting areas on both sides.

Hi.
In https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ultry-keepers-make-and-how-to-fix-them.67667/ (under "Not buying/building a big enough coop"), it states "Chickens need a minimum of 4 sq feet each in the coop, and preferably 10 sq feet of run space".

I'm eyeing this one https://www.coopsandhutchesperth.com.au/product-page/chicken-coop-304-006 (1330L x 1140H x 950W mm) for 3 chickens. Is this enough space for 3 chickens? Does the 4sq feet area includes the nesting box area? If it does include the nesting box area, then this coop would be enough (1330L x 950W = 1.2635 square metre, which is 13.6002008 square foot, which is above the recommended 12sq feet)?
Thank you everyone.

PS: I should mention: the chicken run outside the coop is planned to be 2metrex4.8metre, which is 9.6square metre, which is 103.334 square feet.
Thank you all.
Run!!!! This one is NOT a good idea.

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters, especially when it comes to housing.

This coop was specifically designed to meet the minimums for 4 hens. It will give you a good idea of what to look for: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/

Also, this is what 4 square feet looks like:
0621211536_hdr-jpg.2780473

My doormat is exactly 3.9 square feet. :D

Hi all.
Thanks so much for the replies and warnings!
This is why i love this site, gives expert advice for newbies like me.
Thanks again, all!!

Here in Perth, Western Australia, we have 4 seasons (summer, autumn, winter, spring), with our summers having up to 41 celcius. our winters go down to 0 or 1 celcius.

Hi all.
Thanks so much for the replies and warnings!
This is why i love this site, gives expert advice for newbies like me.
Thanks again, all!!

Here in Perth, Western Australia, we have 4 seasons (summer, autumn, winter, spring), with our summers having up to 41 celcius. our winters go down to 0 or 1 celcius.
This is still considered a warm climate. Going down to the freezing point is nothing for most breeds of chickens.
I would opt for an open air design coop. There are many on this site to look at for inspiration.
You can then cover the lower portion of a side or two or three with clean tarps during the coldest part of winter to block the wind but leave the upper portion open for good ventilation.
I use reinforced tarps to cover lower walls on my run for winter. We have relatively cold winters here and frequently go sub-zero F. The coldest my flock has experienced so far is -23F (-30.6C).
winter run with tarps.jpg
Winter bury 1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom