Coop size to chicken numbers

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by EatonsatCantas, May 30, 2010.

1. EatonsatCantas

EatonsatCantas Out Of The Brooder

I have built a coop 2.5m X 3m. Inside are 4 nesting boxes and roosting poles that could hold (if the dimensions in books are correct) about 20 chickens. But this seems like a lot of birds crowed into one space. I can stand up comfortably at the door end and it slopes to about shoulder height at the back. What would be the maximum number of birds to sleep in a place this size? I am considering buidling a separate low nesting house as my birds don't use the boxes at all!

Hope my attempt at imbedding a picture works!

[​IMG]

2. easton coop

easton coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    Hi EatonsatCantas, 20 birds seam a lot for the size of your coop. Mine is 2mx1.5m and I have only 4 hens, but it would fit 6 at most, therefore 15 hens is my advice. It would also depend on the breed and size of hens. Do you have a run or are they freerange? your image doesn't show, did you upload it on your uploads? we all love seeing other coops! I'm sure you will get good advice on here.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  3. EatonsatCantas

EatonsatCantas Out Of The Brooder

Ta....we currently have 4 large old girls that were given to us and seem at the end of their lives but the totter about quite happy. The other 2 are black Gascon hens and are medium size....actually about half the size of the 4 old girls. One of the blacks has 9 chicks trailer her. And we have one black Gascon cock. Any babies that grow into cocks will become coq au vin and still too early to tell which ones they are. Hopeing to have at least 3-4 hens from the bunch. So that would give us 9-10 hens with one cock. Thinnk that is max for the space really.

Cannot figure how to upload images! "IMG tag" seems to want a URL. I just want to upload from my hard drive. Will check out the site better to see how it's done.

Again....thanks

4. easton coop

easton coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    This may help!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

I wouldn't (for now) add any more hens then you already have. Keeping chickens is addictive and you have a cock so many more future hens will be available. I would just take it easy and have a few vacancies left in your coop. Can't wait to see images!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by