Coop size too small?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Golden Egg5, Feb 1, 2017.

1. The Golden Egg5

The Golden Egg5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    I had thought that the standard amour of space per chicken was 2sq ft. per bird, but after some research, I have found that the minimum amount of space is 4. have already ordered 12 chicks to come in April, but my coop is 5' by 8'. According to this the bare minimum would be 10 chickens. What should I do?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    If all twelve chicks live, it will be a tight fit for them. Do you have an attached run? If it's a covered safe run, it can act as more coop space, and will be fine. 'Chicken math' happens, so smile and plan to have more covered safe space, and enjoy your flock. Mary

3. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    I do have an attached run and most of it is covered. Thank you Mary! :)

4. Chribroo

Chribroo Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2017
    Michigan
    With a run it should be fine;)

5. mclanea

mclanea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2016
    San Diego
    Agreed. I think 2 square feet is fine if they are just going to sleep in there. Mine rarely go in the coop during the day, except to lay eggs, otherwise they are in the run or yard. (We free range in the yard)

If you got 12 chicks probably 2-3 will be roosters. So depending on where you live your issue may solve itself.

6. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    They should be OK.

Curious, where did the 2 sf per bird number come from?

Most pre-fab coop makers use that, or even 1.5 sf per bird when they state their capacities. Don't believe it.

To give one a perspective of how much space we are talking about, if you have ceramic floor tiles in the house, the ones that are 1 foot square........look down and study those. In commercial layer barns, birds are kept in less space than 1 bird per square. Cage free and the so called "free range" birds get about 2 squares. The old school industry standard was 3 to 4 squares, depending on breed. Smaller birds got 3, larger birds 4.

7. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Wow!! :eek: that's not very much room!! I found it somewhere online I don't remember where. Thank you! I feel much better now.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  8. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    You might have some mortality, too--it happens! Also will work to your advantage that you are getting them all at the same time.

9. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    That is true, but as a new chicken mom, I hope not!

10. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Update! I did a major dumb mistake and I measured the coop wrong! The actual dementions are 11 ft by 9ft, so I have plenty of room! :oops: :ya very dumb on my part

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by