Coop size

cindyloowhoo

Chirping
Apr 21, 2018
In the process of doing the coop and run and would like the know the best size to go with for the coop. Currently I have 6 girls, however, I do plan on adding to the flock either late June or next year. I'd probably go with maybe another 6 or so, just don't want to get something too small for them all to be in. I'm having the coop raised if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance

12 potential hens at 4sf each is only 48sf

6x8 would be plenty big enough for the coop and another 10sf per bird in the run unless you plan to free range fully time. So at least 120sf or about a 10x12 run. If you plan to add more beyound the 12 plan the coop and run larger to.

If you are in a cold area with heavy winters you may want a bigger coop. If you live in a warning area with lighter winters you may be able to get away with a little less coop space so long as they can go out to this run early in the morning

...I wasn't planning on doing the whole 13'x8' just for the coop, some of that area will be part of the run area, along with an addition to that as well.
Ohhh, didn't know that, maybe I missed it.

Please add your location to your profile,
climate is important in giving better advice on coops, runs, and chickens.
It's easy to do and the it's always there.
upload_2018-4-25_19-52-44.png

Back
Top Bottom