1. chickenman101

chickenman101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    hello all i was wondering is a 3' x 5' x 3 foot high coop big enough for 2 hens and a rooster??

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Yep that will work. [​IMG]

3. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    thanks. i wansnt sure i dint want them to be cramped im going to start building it this afternoon

4. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    The only thing I would change, if you can, is the height. Taller would make it easier to clean, and give you more space to put roosts.

5. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    yea that does make sense thanks for the advice:)

6. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    Can a coop be to big?....Let's say you wanted 8 chickens and had a 6x10 shed with 6' walls...would it be to big? How many birds would you say would be Happy in 60 sq. ft.?
    Thanks for all who respond.......

7. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    HappyHatch'en :

Can a coop be to big?....Let's say you wanted 8 chickens and had a 6x10 shed with 6' walls...would it be to big? How many birds would you say would be Happy in 60 sq. ft.?
    Thanks for all who respond.......

For 8 chickens in 60 sq ft would be a luxury home for them. [​IMG] 15 would fit in 60sq ft comfortably. I personally dont think a coop can be too big, but you do have to take your climate into consideration.​

8. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Probabably couldn't get it too big in Georgia. In a cold climate where the amount of body heat they generate can make a big difference ( INMHO)coop size/#chickens can get out of proportion if you don't want to add extra heat. Mostly the extra space is nice to have and you will find a way to use it. Coop space is like money, it is kind of hard to have too much, and if for some reason you do wind up with more than you need- don't whine about it here. [​IMG]

9. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    There is no such as thing as too much space...Only too few chickens. This site is infected with chicken fever and you will always be encouraged to get more chicks..lol Seriously...overbuild at least a little in case you do get more in future. Good Luck.

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Nah, even up North, no such thing as too big. You can very easily make an insulated hover around/over the roosts, or section off part of the inside for a 'coop within a coop', if you find yourself needing to concentrate their body heat more; that way you get all the advantages of more space, with no disadvantages [​IMG]

REALLY, nothing such as too big, anywhere [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by