1. WisVizsla

WisVizsla Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    I'm new to this I want to start with 6 chickens is a 4X8 foot coop big enough?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    First off, welcome to BYC!

You need 4sq feet per bird so you have plenty of room for 8 chickens.

But if you want advise, most of us here would tell you to build an 8 X 10 or a 12 X 12 coop.

... you'll want more....[​IMG]

3. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Yep, last August I started with 6 chickens and a 4x8 coop. Now we are getting ready to build a 10x10. So you might as well build a bigger one now:lol:

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Yup build as big as you can. I started out with 4. I currently have 26! There were others but they have found there home some place else, lol.

Oh yeah, this doesn't include the Quail

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Another consideration is that if the "Wis" in your name indicates dealing with Wisconsin winters, a larger rather than smaller coop is DEFINITELY better -- easier to ventilate without drafts, less chance of chickens getting stir-crazy and cannibalistic, and so forth.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. WV_Hillbilly70

WV_Hillbilly70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Nashville, Indiana
    Welcome to BYC!![​IMG]

Definately start bigger than the minimum required space. Good thing about building your own coop is you can build expandibility into it..

7. Prospector

Prospector Chillin' With My Peeps

Another note - the experts here say 4 sq ft per bird of interior space plus 10 sq ft per bird of yard. That is big enough for a coop, but you will need a run as well.

8. WisVizsla

WisVizsla Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    THANKS for all the great input!! Has anyone used a vinyl building as a coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by