1. hitnspit

hitnspit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    New Haven, Vermont
    OK i have a coop that is 4X8 with a slant top that will go from 6 feet high to 4 feet high. How many hens could i keep in it. I do have a run so they get out and play. Reason for the ? is im going to be moving them soon and the winters are a big worse then what i have here. Even if it is only 30 min away. But in the winters past they do not go out in the snow. I open the door to let them rome but they want no part of it. I have 5 now. How many should i have so they can keep warm in the cold winter....Here in Vermot........jim

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The rule of thumb on this forum is 4 square feet per chicken in the coop and 10 square feet per chicken in the run. This assumes that they will spend a lot of time in the coop and will not be able to get to the run for some extended periods of time, similar to your situation. So you could go with an additional three to a total of eight and you will probably be OK. If you are happy with 5, that is even better. More space per chicken is always better.

If possible, you might want to build your new run so it has some snow protection. Mine don't seem to mind colder temperatures, but they do not like the wind or the snow. I know I don't have your climate, but here are mine in 8 degree Fahrenheit weather.

[​IMG]

Don't forget snow load on the roof if you cover part of it.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If the main reason you're considering adding more chickens is for warmth, stay with the five you have. More space is a greater advantage than the TINY bit of body heat three more birds would produce. If you are concerned with winter cold, add a drop-down ceiling or a huddle box to your housing to reduce space, or insulate if you have a little extra $...

4. hitnspit

hitnspit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    New Haven, Vermont
    Thanks for the info........All sounds good....jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by