1. onesweetfarm

onesweetfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Would a 8x8 shed converted into a coop, complete with nesting boxes, roosts, and proper ventilation, be the appropriate size for approximately 16 hens?

2. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    The short answer is yes. I have an 8x8 with a 12x16 run. 12 hens now, I had 15 when I started. If I had the means I'd go bigger because even with the so-called prescribed space I still have had boredom issues such as pecking. My birds are all healthy and vigorous except for the bare bottoms from pecking. More free range time and things for them to peck at besides each other helps a lot. Provide a large run if you don't plan to range them. If you can resist, start with a dozen and see how it goes.

You can check out my set up on my page. Good luck.

3. onesweetfarm

onesweetfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I have the room to free range but worried about the predators so I may set up a run. I was planning on 12 chicks but ordered a few extra incase I lose some during delivery or if I end up with a few roos. I like your set up, it looks great! I have started the plans, I just have to find the right spot on the property to start construction.

4. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i have 5 in an 8x8. i don't know that i would go more.. they can fight and peck each other when too tight.. but mine are inside alot. we get heavy snow from nov till march and they are inside the whole time.. their choice lol. if you have them outdoors most of the time then they should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by