Coop sizes for cochin bantams

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cochinbantam-lover, May 2, 2009.

1. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Hi,
    I would like to have an idea what size of coop would work for about 50 cochins. In feet please. 10 X12 maybe ??

Thanks!

2. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    Just as a personal preferance I like 4 square feet per chicken. I'll be looking forward to what some of the more experienced people say. I may be way off.

Doug

3. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    4 square feet for standard breeds. 2 square feet for bantams. 10 x 12 should work for cochin bantams (IMHO).

4. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    I have a 4x8 enclosure with a coop (2 ftx 8 ft) over top. How many banties would you suggest?

I think 4 sq ft per chicken is good if they are not let out all the time. The 2sq ft per banty is OK if they are let out. IMO

5. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Thankyou all for your replies! I will have around 50 or so, and they will be let out during the day and inside at night. Thoughts please!
    Thanks much!

6. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd go with the 4 sq ft per bird. They won't want to go outside in bad weather and 2 sq ft is just way too small.

7. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I am pretty awful with math, so what would that measure in dimensions for the coop? Thanks!

8. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    10x20

9. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Well,since they are bantams, it's typically 2 sq feet per bird. But aren't cochins bigger bantams? I'd suggest 3 sq ft a birds. That would allow for 40 birds [​IMG]

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I've got a trio in a 4x4 pen and that is pushing it. For 50 birds I suggestion something rather large, but then I like a lot of extra room for my birds to.

10x20 is only 200 square feet, which is basically 4 square feet per bird. I'd go more like 20x20 or at least 10x30.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by