Coop space/poop board question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Caity, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Caity

Caity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Central, NC
    Hi Everyone!

I've been reading people'sentries on poop boards and I would really like to include one in the coop I am building, but I'm worried my coop is too small. It's 3' x 3' x 5' with 2 internal nesting boxes (we only have 4 hens). I was thinking I could make the roof of my nesting box into a poopboard by making it flat and bringing it out 16 inches instead of 12, and putting a ledge on it to hold sweet pdz. My only worry is that it will make things too crowded for my girls! below is a ROUGH sketch. I'd love your opinions![​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. Hi Caity-
    I have been on here debating the very same issue -- small coop design (purina mills), layout of nesting boxes and a poop board filled with PDZ. I like the idea of being able to scoop it like cat litter, and apparently the PDZ is very beneficial in compost piles. I have been playing with an external nest box on one side of the coop, the PDZ/roost directly opposite and a rear wall that opens completely to access both. I will be watching to see if anyone replies to your question.

3. Caity

Apr 12, 2012
    Central, NC
    Hi Lissa! Are you building a coop right now too? How big is your coop design (minus the external nesting boxes)?

4. We aren't receiving our chicks until 5/25 but I have been looking at coop ideas. My husband is the kind of guy who doesn't mind building or helping me build, but he wants definite building plans rather than winging it as we go and ending up spending more money. I have decided that the free coop plans on the Purina Mills website will work for us with a few modifications. I want to include a window, a smaller egg box that sits lower to the floor (so the kids can collect the eggs), the roost with poop tray with the PDZ. Here is a quick overview sketch of what I want to do. The window will be above the pop hole.
    [​IMG]

5. Caity

Apr 12, 2012
    Central, NC
    Cool! We're pretty much in the same boat--except we did it backwards and got the chickens FIRST (whoops!). We went with the Garden Coop (http://www.thegardencoop.com/) because we're both newbie builders and wanted some very thorough plans. Plus I saw it on this blog (http://journeytosimple.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/backyard-garden-chicken-coop/) and fell in love with it.

I'm certainly not an expert, but you seem to be in a better position than I am because your coop is wider (almost 4" while mine is only 3"). That will probably give your girls enough room to get up on your roosting pole. The only problem I see is that you might need more than one roosting pole--I think someone said they need 9-10" of pole per chicken. How many chickens did you order?

Fortunately the poop board seems pretty quick/easy to do, so I might just try it and see if it works. If I do I'll be sure to write back and let you know if it worked!

6. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID

Our first coop was a 3x4x5 with internal nest boxes. Very similar set up to what you've drawn. I took an boot tray and laid it on top of the nest boxes. In the area next to the boxes on the floor of the coop, I placed a silver platter from the Dollar Store. Both worked great as removable trays for cleaning. We needed a bigger coop and currently have no poop trays/board in the new coop. But, they've only been in it for 4 days so we'll see what it looks like in a couple more days and make that adjustment.

Just make sure they have enough space to jump up on the roosts.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  7. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    ok newbie here,what is PDZ? thanks:)
    diane

8. Caity

Apr 12, 2012
    Central, NC
    Thanks so Much McJessen! Any idea how much space they need to jump up to their roost?

9. Caity

Apr 12, 2012
    Central, NC
    Hi Diane, Sweet PDZ is sort of a sandy-textured kitty litter for barnyard animals. It makes the poop really easy to scoop up and absorbs smells.

10. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    caity thanks! so I should be able to find this at say tractor supply? Feed store?? and you just put it on your poop board?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by