Coop suggestions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by noah600, Feb 10, 2013.

1. noah600

noah600 New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    I am looking for advice on how to get started as cheaply as possible. We don't have the tools or carpentry ability to build a coop. I have seen several decent priced kits online. Any suggestions? I will probably start with 4 or 5 chickens.

2. Slongest

Slongest Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    May i suggest looking on the web or putting an ad out for a large dog house cheap and simple put a run on it and a roost on the inside. even if you find a smaller one it isnt hard to add on or combine two together

1 person likes this.
  3. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    I've seen a lot of success using kids play houses. Like the ones fischer price makes. Browse CL and look for that, a large dog house, shipping crate, or the play scapes for kids. Use any of those, pick up some 2x4s, for the roosts. Buckets on their sides for nesting boxes or cat litter boxes.

If you need a run, look around for a dog run. Some times can find them for $50, but most cost $100-150 in my area. Cover the top with shade cloth. This will work.great for keeping chickens in.

If you have a high predator issue, cover the sides with the hardware cloth and zip tie it to the dog run.

1 person likes this.
  4. noah600

noah600 New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    Has anyone heard anything good or bad about this house? Based on the dimensions, how many chickens could I fit comfortably?

[​IMG]

5. Slongest

Slongest Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Comfortably Id say 4-6 depending on size as well..

6. jrudolph305

jrudolph305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    If you can draw up a plan/sketch of what you want perhaps you could find somebody that would do the actual building. You buy all the supplies and they do the work with your help. Maybe a local school would have a shop class and could recommend a student. Kits, ready made sheds and cheaply as possible sometimes do not go hand in hand. Our first coop, run and supplies we built for around $400 for 6 girls. This included price of 12 week old hens, heated waterer, feeder and all the little extras that add up. Just remember you are doing this for fun.

7. PostgeStampFarm

PostgeStampFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2013
    Cedar Grove NJ
    I have heard of folks looking on craigslist and using old Rubbermaid plastic tool sheds or even Little Tykes style playhouses as starter coops...with some creativity they could work rather well I would suspect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by