1. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Just curious-does anyone have to pay taxes on their coops? In New Hampshire they taxed us on our shed so when they come in springtime am I to expect to be taxed on an outlying structure or something? I feel like a dolt asking this but I want to make it bigger and better and don't want sticker shock! tx

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    That's actually a real good question.

It mostly depends on if you pull a permit to build it. If you do then they
    can add it to your property value and tax you on it.

My chickens live in my barn which has become their coop so I am taxed on
    it too.

3. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    they did on my brothers here in maine.all he had was a ice shack and he had a extension cord running to the coop and they taxed him for a dwelling . we will see how much mine goes up haveing 2 sheds built next week 8x10 for storage and 10x12 for chicken barn.

4. omelette'smom

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Okay-so the answer is to EXPECT IT! Did i read that somewhere that if it's on wheels than it's not permanant and it's untaxable? Anyone know? I'm going to google that and see

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    If it's a permanent structure, it's on the tax rolls, and you need a permit to build a new one. If it's mobile, no property taxes and no permit needed. At least that's the way it is here.

6. glassparman

glassparman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    In Kern County of California, as long as it is on skids, it can be up to 120 square feet. Larger than that, it needs permits and then gets taxed.

Check your local codes out.

Michael

7. Hoot

Hoot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    Canaveral Groves, FL.
    The day I get taxed on a hen house is the day you guys are gonna see me on CNN!

HEADLINES: Tax Collector beat to death with live chicken, Film at 11.

I hope I'm not the only one that has issue with this. I do not have a problem paying my share of taxes, but this is over the line.

Government needs to stay out of our chicken coops. The next thing you know will have a Department of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Chicken Coops!

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store, Not a Government Agency!

My name is Hoot and I approve this ad.

8. omelette'smom

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]
    hear ye hear ye!!
    One vote for Hoot!!
    [​IMG] what's a skid?

9. omelette'smom

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thank you horsejody-that's great info because i googled my heart out and nothing was saying what i asked to find out about!

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    omelette'smom :

Thank you horsejody-that's great info because i googled my heart out and nothing was saying what i asked to find out about!

Regulations can vary from place to place. Check with your county permit office to see if you need a permit. As far as the taxing goes, don't call the treasurer. Let them discover it themselves. In our area there is one lazy s.o.b. that works for the treasurer's office. He sits and drinks coffee all day at a nearby convienence store and makes a drive around the area every afternoon just to say he did something. If you so much as put new landscape rock around a tree, he takes a picture of it and updates the file.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by