Coop temperature sensor

I put together my own sensor using a Raspberry Pi and a Sense Hat board. The Pi is logged into my wifi network and has no problems connecting from the backyard. I wrote some pretty simple Python code to get the sensor readings and then push the data to an API.

It currently only measures temp and humidity, but if I get the time, I plan to add a VOC/Ammonia sensor and a light sensor.

It takes a reading every minute, and then pushes the data to a site that graphs the data for me. (adafruit.io on a free plan). I have a shortcut to the dashboard page on my phone, so I can pull it up at any time.

IMG_D60DF4321B96-1.jpeg

If anyone is interested in temp/ humidity monitoring of their coop and lacks the DIY knowledge to build a sensor I highly recommend Sensor Push. I’ve had their sensor in my coop for a year and it’s still on the original battery. It automatically sends updates to my phone and pings me when the coop is out of the parameters I have chosen. It can also export data in charts for for various timelines. I found it to be pretty handy especially for tweaking the ventilation design of the coop. I wanted it for a few other projects but alas it has never made it out of the coop...

I added one of these sensors to the coop which will allow me to keep tabs on coop temperature and any humidity. Chickens did well with their first negative temps of -5°F this past week with more negatives coming this week. Nice to have a range of 330 feet.

Hi!
This is my first New England winter with chickens I'm wondering what size your coop is and what the humidity level ranges? I've been trying to monitor mine, there are so many variables affecting the
reading and I'm so nervous!

I put together my own sensor using a Raspberry Pi and a Sense Hat board. The Pi is logged into my wifi network and has no problems connecting from the backyard. I wrote some pretty simple Python code to get the sensor readings and then push the data to an API.

It currently only measures temp and humidity, but if I get the time, I plan to add a VOC/Ammonia sensor and a light sensor.

It takes a reading every minute, and then pushes the data to a site that graphs the data for me. (adafruit.io on a free plan). I have a shortcut to the dashboard page on my phone, so I can pull it up at any time.

View attachment 1609876
Hello, this is very interesting. Which raspberry pi did you use and how are you powering it? And how much did it cost total?

Back
Top Bottom