Coop temperatures

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LD Jackson, Jun 4, 2011.

1. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    As some of you may already know from my previous posts, I have converted a pigeon loft into a chicken coop. Presently, the entire east side of the coop is open and covered in hardware cloth and the south side has a smaller section with an eave vent and a smaller door leading to the larger portion of the coop. It is currently 96° F and the thermometer I have in the coop says it is 90° F. The chicks seem to be doing fine, but I was wondering if that sounds like enough ventilation and temperature drop from the outside temperature. Here is what the coop looks like. Pardon the mess, as I am still in the conversion process. I just removed the aviary this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    As you're managing to keep the coop a bit cooler than 'outdoors in the shade' temps (at least at the time you looked at the thermometer), I'd say you're already doing good AS LONG AS that's the hottest it gets inside the coop. The thing to beware of is that an underventilated coop can stay cooler in the morning but then get *hotter* in late afternoon into early evening. A max-min thermometer in the indoor part of the coop, inspected daily, would be a real good idea. I'm not saying your coop IS underventilated, it may well be just fine -- all I'm saying is, b/c it is largely enclosed, it is worth keeping an eye on, on an ongoing basis.

Whether 90 in the coop is cool enough for your chickens (which is really the main issue) is a matter for your particular chickens to tell you. Watch their behavior. If they are acting hot -- digging deep holes to sit in, wings out a bit from bodies, mouths open and panting, that kind of thing, then they are having trouble with the heat and it'd be wise to provide a fan or frozen ice jugs or something like that. OTOH if they are just going about their normal business then they are fine at whatever temps you've got.

And really in the final analysis that's what matters -- how your particular chickens are doing. It does vary. So common sense and observation are kind of the bottom line.

P.s. I really like your coop and run, they seem to strike a nice balance between ventilation and shade and protection from elements -- but you might consider adding screws with washers, or screwed-thru battens, to refasten the hardwarecloth, as it would be a shame to learn the hard way that raccoons can pull staplegun staples out.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Thanks for the reply, patandchickens. So far, the chicks seem to be acting normally. In the hottest part of the day yesterday, they did have their wings stretched out a bit and were panting, but not heavily. Their appetite seems to be growing every day and they are very active. No digging holes in the shavings or anything like that. My wife and daughter both keep a very close eye on them while I am at work.

I see what you are saying about the hardware cloth and may do that later. We actually live in a residential neighborhood and have seen no wildlife in the 20 years we have lived here. As for the coop construction, I used to keep homing pigeons and I am still in the conversion process. I plan to support the front section of the roof with landscaping timbers and throw a giant tarp over the entire thing when I am finished. That will stop a very stubborn water leak I have been unable to stop, even with painting the roof with an elastic coating. I am going to fix it so that I can lower another tarp over the front during the winter, on colder days. Some of those plans are still in my head. [​IMG]

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well done. If your coop is cooler than the temo outside, your winning the heat battle. Now just keep the water in front of the birds and all will be fine. Again, good job!

5. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Shade and water, thats the key! We had a heat index here today of 105 and the dudettes did just fine. I built the coop under trees and have
    added roll-up shades to cover where the sun shines in during the late afternoon. If they start showing signs of stress, I'll run an extension cord
    out to them and put on a fan. So far, not needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by