Coop that keeps cool in summer

TeamHermes

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2021
A hen unexpectedly adopted me earlier this year, and I’m looking for an affordable coop for her and at most 3 additional chickens. I don’t have any building experience. I live in Florida and it’s already gotten into the mid 80s a couple times. Demeter (my chicken) seems to get hot easily (panting and puffing her wings out); I’m making sure she has plenty of cold water. So I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a small coop that keeps hens cool and doesn’t require much, if any, building experience.

Perhaps a 3 sided building placed in deep high shade. High shade so it doesn't interfere with wind or air flow. Even in cooler climates, they don't necessarily need a 4 sided building. As long as the open side is covered with hardware cloth for predator protection will make them safe. Foot baths help a lot.
Do you know what breed the hen is?
If you haven't gotten the other hens yet, I would choose heat hardy or at least heat tolerant breeds.
That would include all the Mediterranean class breeds, Cubalayas, Naked Necks and to a lesser extent, Delawares, Brahmas and New Hampshires.
Mediterranean class available in the US are Leghorn, Sicilian Buttercup, Andalusian, Ancona, Minorca, White Faced Black Spanish, Penedesenca, Empordanesa and Catalana.
When getting into chickens, the first move is to choose breeds suitable for one's climate, then many potential problems are avoided.

Last edited:
You can start with nothing more than 4 6x10x6 chain link panels. Add a roof, reinforce the lower part with hardware cloth, add a roost and a nesting box and you're in business. I like 6' tall panels so it's easy to walk around in. I have found used panels for $15-60 on CL. A nesting box can be a covered cat litter pan, a milk crate, a 5 gallon bucket on it's side. Nothing fancy but they all provide a clean quiet area for them to lay.
It will serve as both a coop and run.

Just don't buy one of those premade coops that are overpriced and useless for your birds!
Having a roof and predator protection are the essentials; three sides are good, and hardware cloth, 2"x 4" woven wire, or chainlink with hardware cloth are all good. Plastic sheeting can be added over two or three of those 'walls' to block wind and rain, and a dig proof foundation is also essential.
Garden sheds are good, with added windows and ventilation.
Mary

Florida is the ideal place for an Open Air Coop -- a predator-proof wire box with generous roof overhangs to keep out the rain and a wind-block on the side that gets the winter storms. (Storm panels to attack for tropical storms are probably a good idea too).

This is one of the inspirations for my own Open Air Coop (currently in progress): https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas-coop-build-pic-heavy.1371038/

Perhaps a 3 sided building placed in deep high shade. High shade so it doesn't interfere with wind or air flow. Even in cooler climates, they don't necessarily need a 4 sided building. As long as the open side is covered with hardware cloth for predator protection will make them safe. Foot baths help a lot.
Do you know what breed the hen is?
If you haven't gotten the other hens yet, I would choose heat hardy or at least heat tolerant breeds.
That would include all the Mediterranean class breeds, Cubalayas, Naked Necks and to a lesser extent, Delawares, Brahmas and New Hampshires.
Mediterranean class available in the US are Leghorn, Sicilian Buttercup, Andalusian, Ancona, Minorca, White Faced Black Spanish, Penedesenca, Empordanesa and Catalana.
When getting into chickens, the first move is to choose breeds suitable for one's climate, then many potential problems are avoided.
I’m pretty sure she’s either a Rhode Island Red or a The Red Sex link.

Attachments

• 27E89A20-E900-431B-AF2A-BB112D120A31.jpeg
    27E89A20-E900-431B-AF2A-BB112D120A31.jpeg
    690.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 7A200669-6F69-4163-B381-B53B13BB1B52.jpeg
    7A200669-6F69-4163-B381-B53B13BB1B52.jpeg
    777.3 KB · Views: 9
I feel your pain @TeamHermes .
As far as coop design goes I agree with all of the above. Chickens in warm weather can be tricky but it can be done.
You can google "hot weather coop plans" and find lots of great ideas well presented.
1617232849163.png

I've personally learned to make sure all is as open as possible- including and especially the nest boxes. Best to give girls air at that critical time.
20210119_152008.jpg 20200526_100356.jpg
Make good use of shade cloth, trees, large overhangs and room on the roost and a well placed fan- always fantastic. chickens and fan.jpg
20200525_151248.jpg
Give the girls a safe place from predator's and then make it fun for you and them. You can always add wood or staple feed bags to keep out the wind and rain when needed once your frame and roof is up.
20210203_183254 (1).jpg
Welcome to BYC, congratulations, good luck and keep us posted!

Just don't buy one of those premade coops that are overpriced and useless for your birds!
Having a roof and predator protection are the essentials; three sides are good, and hardware cloth, 2"x 4" woven wire, or chainlink with hardware cloth are all good. Plastic sheeting can be added over two or three of those 'walls' to block wind and rain, and a dig proof foundation is also essential.
Garden sheds are good, with added windows and ventilation.
Mary
I haven’t had a lot of trouble with predators, she was chased by a cat once. We have a lot of critters around here (possums, raccoons, a rat that lives in the bushes, a turtle and cats.) but none of them have bothered her, and she has a nest across the street, but nothing has ever taken any egg?. Once she has a actual coop will critters start to noticed her and her eggs more?

Back
Top Bottom